• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Results Are In (C&S) UD: Pasteurella and Moraxella

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
Got a call from the vet saying he's going to call me later to talk about Buckley's C&S results.
Eep.
**everything crossed**

It's been over a week since he took the swab so I'm guessing it's something slow growing and stealthy. Argh, so nervous. It's like getting exam results!

good luck. matts first one didn't show anything but his next two did. :) if they are ringing after a week they probably have found something. :)

Ok.

Just got the call from The Great Vet Burgess.
It is 2 things causing Buckley his problems:
- Pasteurella
- Moraxella

Both were found to be sensitive to Baytril and Penicillin.
He's reluctant to use Penicillin (for obvious reasons) so he's going to give us a 10 day course of Baytril and a powder to make the nasal discharge thinner as it will help the Baytril to work better.

We are to pick the medicine up tomorrow or Friday and give him a call in 8-10 days to update him on Buckley's progress.

Fingers crossed!

Can I just ask why reluctant to use penecillin? Not as a judgement just as I've used it several times (And am currently using it) and it has been a literal life-saver XX

Can I just ask why reluctant to use penecillin? Not as a judgement just as I've used it several times (And am currently using it) and it has been a literal life-saver XX

Because we haven't tried Baytril yet and the bacteria showed high sensitivity to Baytril as well as Penicillin. I think because Buckley is still young and growing our vet wants to explore the most bunny-friendly option before jumping in at the deep end. With Buckley everything really has to be done in baby steps. I guess it's an individual rabbit thing :)

Poor Buckley. :(
But at least you are getting to the bottom of it. If you've not used Baytril before I understand going for that first. But it does taste horrible so I recommend hiding it in food. :)

Poor Buckley. :(
But at least you are getting to the bottom of it. If you've not used Baytril before I understand going for that first. But it does taste horrible so I recommend hiding it in food. :)

Yeah, I was gonna make him a bunny smoothie, spiked with Baytril haha.

Yeah, I was gonna make him a bunny smoothie, spiked with Baytril haha.

Doing meds seems like a military operation...

banana - check
knife - check (for cutting banana)
fork - check (for mashing banana)
spoon - check (for feeding banana)
syringes - check
meds - check
saucer - check

Oh and bunny - check

:lol::lol::lol:

banana - check
syringes - check
meds - check
saucer - check

Oh and bunny - check

It really is :lol:

banana - check
syringes - check
meds - check
saucer - check

Oh and bunny - check

:lol:

Except I don't need a spoon to feed the drugged banana - Hopscotch eats it off the plate and even licks the plate clean :shock: If you take too long to put it on the floor he stands on his back legs, puts his front paws on the plate, and pulls it down faster!

:lol:

Except I don't need a spoon to feed the drugged banana - Hopscotch eats it off the plate and even licks the plate clean :shock: If you take too long to put it on the floor he stands on his back legs, puts his front paws on the plate, and pulls it down faster!

My others do but not Nutmeg, too posh to eat from a plate :roll::roll:

banana - check
syringes - check
meds - check
saucer - check

I'm so glad Bluebell is so laid back, I can syringe him meds and do whatever I like to him without a fuss and it still feels like a military op at med time. Must be even worse for those of you with awkward bunnies. :(

Back