• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's your bag of trick to make your bun lost weight?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
So far, I make her run around the backyard, and I cut the veggie by quite a bit, as well as pellets.

But they still need some vitamin, so would you still give the bun some carrots and fruits?

And what else would you do?

Hello Jason, where have you been hiding? :wave::wave::wave:

How many pellets are you feeding? I only feed an eggcup full of pellets per bun per day.

Alfie and Bubbles don't get much veg as it gives Bubbles an iffy tummy, so they get herbs and weeds from the garden instead - I don't know what you have available over there but the more natural foods such as brambles, hawthorn, dandelions, plantain would be good. I wouldn't give too much fruit and carrot - both are very sugary.

Does bunny have much weight to lose and how much weight has come off so far? The key is to make sure it comes off very slowly.

I would cut out the pellets or reduce to a pinch a day. If you are worried about vitamin levels without them then use a vitamin supplement so you get the vitamins without the rest of the calories in pellets.

A good mix of green veg/leaves should provide all the required vitamins/minerals without feeding fruit. Fruit isn't really a natural part of rabbits diet it's just tasty :lol:

Hello Jason, where have you been hiding? :wave::wave::wave:

How many pellets are you feeding? I only feed an eggcup full of pellets per bun per day.

Does bunny have much weight to lose and how much weight has come off so far? The key is to make sure it comes off very slowly.

Well, what happened was, last May after Bernie passed away, I bond Minnie w/ Bobby. And during that spring/summer bonding, which takes a few months, Minnie is the dominant 1. And food that's meant for 2 buns, Minnie ate all of them. That's not the case in the past, as Bernie would have eat at least 1/2.

The other reason is that after Bernie passed away, I feel sorry for Minnie, so during the summer, I gave her extra fruits. So I notice the wt. gain, at least 2 pounds, and she's a dutch, so want her to lose most of it back.

The pellet is about 3 to 4 teaspoon for 2 buns, so I've as of yesterday, cut back to 5 piece only for Minnie. I have also cut out all the veggies, & no more apple slice.

But fruits contains vitamin C which functions as an antioxidant against oxidative gain. So I don't want to kill all of it for the next 3 mth. Every animals need some vitamin C to survive.

So I can go w/ the no fruit option for 3 mth. but put in 1 carrot for 2 buns, which is what I have all these years.

And Karen you smart cookie, I sent you 2 emails, didn't you get it?

Last edited:
Back