• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rehoming more bunnies?

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
My heart is having a real struggle with my head at the moment.

Since Peggy and Sue sadly went to the Bridge this year I have a big empty hutch which I have to walk past every time I feed my trio. I keep looking at the buns in need and some of them really tear at my heart BUT money is a consideration.

I did wonder about fostering but the local rescue doesn't do the sort of fostering where all vet bills are paid for. I also think I may get too attached to the buns, given how I ended up keeping Tabitha's kittens, despite being offered homes for them.

I can afford the routine care of the animals and have budgeted for nine sets of vaccinations and now only have seven buns:( - it's the unexpected vet bills that throw me. Molly's recent £600 bill meant I had to take out a personal loan to clear my overdraft. If she had been insured I would only have had to pay the excess.

So, my heart is telling me to rehome another couple of young buns and to get them insured. George and Gemma are both insured so I know what the premium would be and that is do-able.

My fixed rate mortgage comes to an end this month and so my mortgage payments will reduce by two thirds (it was fixed for three years at a very high rate) and I have also changed my home insurance provider which has saved me £50 a month. Even if the mortgage rate increases it would take years to reach the rate I was paying (according to the bank). This means my financial position is nowhere near as dire as it was. I also now have the opportunity to do some overtime at my night job by going on-call during the day at weekends.

What do you all think?

I would say adopt a pair :) Sounds like you shouldn't have problems with vet bills and perhaps if you happen to have a REALLY costly vet bill you could do a payment plan.

Just wondering, does insurance pay for dentals? Seems like insurance never pays for the most common problems. I know it usually doesn't for insulinoma and adrenal disease for ferrets, the main problems ferrets have, so a lot of good it does to insure them :roll:

Personally I would wait until the mortgage goes down, the insurance is at a steady cost and you're doing an amount of work you're comfortable with. Then work out the figures and see exactly how affordable another pair of buns is.

I would also try fostering as it works out that you're able to help more buns, costs less and there's no long term commitment (which would be handy should one of your uninsured rabbits becomes long term ill).
If you end up keeping them then it's not the worst thing in the world as you were thinking of adopting anyway, if you feel ok with sending them off to their new forever home then do so and help another pair of rabbits.

I foster dogs and, while it's not for everyone, I find it so rewarding. As much as I come to love each dog nothing makes me as happy as them finding a forever home and hearing how well they're doing once they're settled.

Personally I would wait until the mortgage goes down, the insurance is at a steady cost and you're doing an amount of work you're comfortable with. Then work out the figures and see exactly how affordable another pair of buns is.

I would also try fostering as it works out that you're able to help more buns, costs less and there's no long term commitment (which would be handy should one of your uninsured rabbits becomes long term ill).
If you end up keeping them then it's not the worst thing in the world as you were thinking of adopting anyway, if you feel ok with sending them off to their new forever home then do so and help another pair of rabbits.

I foster dogs and, while it's not for everyone, I find it so rewarding. As much as I come to love each dog nothing makes me as happy as them finding a forever home and hearing how well they're doing once they're settled.

Except, as she says, her local rescues do not pay vet bills.

I would come and take a pair of my rescue rexes that need homes ;):lol:

but seriously, I think you may be better off fostering, see if there are any more (maybe not quite as local) rescues that will cover vets fees? You dont want to strain yourself financially, especially if one of your buns does get ill, and as already said, fostering gives you the chance to give back the buns if your circumstances change.

If however you think you could handle the vets bills and you are financially stable, rehoming a couple of buns may be better.

Except, as she says, her local rescues do not pay vet bills.
That part confused me....I was sure that as far as the law is concerned the rabbits in foster care are the rescues responsibility, so they are are required to pay for any vets bills. :?
I know the rescue I foster dogs for have told me that unless an injury/illness is my fault they are bound to pay for the care.

Plus there's nobody to pay for your own rabbits if they need to see a vet, so even if they won't pay it's still as much of a risk of paying a bill as adopting a pair :)

I had a long term foster bun, Justin, who had dental problems. It was ideal for me as all vet bills were covered, even routine vaccinations, but I had to take Justin back to rescue so he could see their vet. Justin wasn't up for rehoming but was fostered because of the expense his regular dentals would have incurred. Sadly, he went to the Bridge because of an inoperable tumour.

Since then the rescue has changed their policy and they will only cover the vet fees in connection with the illness they know about prior to the fostering. They don't, as far as I know, foster animals who are up for rehoming.

I found it difficult with Justin because I had to use their vet who only goes to the centre once a week. It was also a longish drive there and back, which isn't ideal with a poorly bun. I also had to go through rescue, rather than speak to the vet direct, which I found difficult.

If I foster buns I would be happy to pay for the vaccination costs but not other vet bills as I wouldn't be able to insure them - as they are not 'mine'. At least if I adopt more buns who have no known problems I will be able to insure them and then I shouldn't have the problem I had with Molly.

Hope that makes sense.

I am not going to rush into anything. Am just considering my options. I said a definite 'no more' after Sue went to the Bridge but I now I am beginning to think I would love to give a home to buns who have had a tough start in life.

I have the time - I never go on holiday and my hours are flexible so I can come home throughout the day - ideal when a bun is poorly. I've got experience gained through volunteering at a rescue (now closed) and through having buns for many years. I just need to consider the financial implications.

I had a long term foster bun, Justin, who had dental problems. It was ideal for me as all vet bills were covered, even routine vaccinations, but I had to take Justin back to rescue so he could see their vet. Justin wasn't up for rehoming but was fostered because of the expense his regular dentals would have incurred. Sadly, he went to the Bridge because of an inoperable tumour.

Since then the rescue has changed their policy and they will only cover the vet fees in connection with the illness they know about prior to the fostering. They don't, as far as I know, foster animals who are up for rehoming.

I found it difficult with Justin because I had to use their vet who only goes to the centre once a week. It was also a longish drive there and back, which isn't ideal with a poorly bun. I also had to go through rescue, rather than speak to the vet direct, which I found difficult.

If I foster buns I would be happy to pay for the vaccination costs but not other vet bills as I wouldn't be able to insure them - as they are not 'mine'. At least if I adopt more buns who have no known problems I will be able to insure them and then I shouldn't have the problem I had with Molly.

Hope that makes sense.

I am not going to rush into anything. Am just considering my options. I said a definite 'no more' after Sue went to the Bridge but I now I am beginning to think I would love to give a home to buns who have had a tough start in life.

I have the time - I never go on holiday and my hours are flexible so I can come home throughout the day - ideal when a bun is poorly. I've got experience gained through volunteering at a rescue (now closed) and through having buns for many years. I just need to consider the financial implications.

It sounds like you've made up your mind ;) and I'm sure they will be very happy with you :)

Although remember to factor in dentals in to your budget, as insurance wont cover it.

*personally* I would leave it a little while to let everything settle financially. Once you know how everything is panning out then I would maybe think about fostering. Have you got in touch with the Arc in Stubbington? They might foster. I gave Kris your details too as I know she was desperate a little while back.

where abouts are you?

Yes, I live in Havant, which is near Portsmouth, Hampshire.

I would like to foster, Sam. I'd like to look after buns who need to learn to trust or who have special needs - or a Mum and her babies. That's how I ended up with Molly and Munchkin - I fell in love with Molly and her litter when I volunteered at rescue. She let me stroke her and eventually her babies and I was allowed to take her and two of her daughters home. Sadly, Misty died suddenly and a post mortem was inconclusive. I found out later all the females of her colouring in that litter died too so it must have been something genetic.

I don't think I could foster for the RSPCA ARK at Stubbington. I once had a row with their Manager over some kittens:oops: A very long story!

Last edited:
I would make sure you are financially stable..then if you also have the space and the time..go for it.
There are always pairs looking for a loving home..but no one should over stretch themselves:D
( we have several pairs..one very cute..and we rehome nationally!!;):lol:)

I took on my boy panicking abit about money but touch wood it's all ok....I just eat less :lol:

( there's Rosie and Jim on the rehome bit on here though....just an idea if you do)

Back