• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sugar Gliders? Rabbits pass Bordetella

William

Wise Old Thumper
I have read that buns can pass bordetella to sugar gliders so it isn't safe to house gliders in the same room as buns. In the same way as buns can pass bordella to guinea pigs, yet lots of people still house them in the same room and just don't allow contact to each other :? Anyone have sugar gliders? Have you ever read this, have any issues, does your vet think its ok?

I've always wanted gliders since I was about 13 and at some point would like 2-3 :) I'm researching now "just in case" but I doubt I will get any this year as I'm getting a puppy in October hopefully which will take up loads of time.

I really have no idea if rabbits can pass Bordetella to sugar gliders -

your best bet would be to pm Jack's_Jane (unless she comes on here) as she's well informed on all sorts of rabbit diseases.

I've never heard of Bordetella :oops:and had to google a pic of a sugar glider to see it's a bit like a little flying chipmunk :oops::lol::lol:

sue:wave:

I dont think you can get sugar gliders in the uk (?) so not sure if many people will be very well informed on the diseaes side of things but hopefully some one will have an answer!

hmm i know they can pass it to guinea pigs cause thats one of the reasons people give for not keeping buns and GP's together. But I'm confused, do rabbits actually get 'infected' by it, or can they carry it and pass it without getting ill at all? So you'd never even know? :?

Yeah gliders look a bit like flying squirrels. They're really adorable, fun, sweet, and great companions. Mine are going to be 'bra babies' as well as be carried in my pocket and bonding pouch all day :D Gliders love hanging out with their owners.

I would probably put the cage in my bedroom and my buns will be going in there a lot probably...so I'm hoping bordetella isn't a big concern or I'll have to find somewhere else to keepthe cage. :?

ETA: You can't get gliders in the UK :shock: That really sad, they're great pets.

I thought Bordatella was spread via direct contact or sneezing. Ie that being in the same room was not a problem as long as they weren't close enough for a sneeze to reach.. It is however possible for you to transfer it if say you handled the bun first as I think it survives on surfaces for about 3 weeks, so it would be important to wash hands inbetween. I have my piggies in the same room but not the same hutch and haven't had any probs but I've no experience of sugar gliders so I don't know how sensitive they are.

But I'm confused, do rabbits actually get 'infected' by it, or can they carry it and pass it without getting ill at all?

Bunnies can get ill from it - its a form of snuffles, but more often than not they are just carrier and show no symptoms.

Then putting in the same room wouldn't matter at all :? Not sure why I've read that on glider sites. I'll see what people on a glider forum say. Seems like the real problem will be if contact with me. but it seems unlikely my rabbits would sneeze on me...

Bunnies can get ill from it - its a form of snuffles, but more often than not they are just carrier and show no symptoms.

ETA: thanks, thats just what i needed to know.

You can get sugar gliders in the uk, they are another of the newer exotic pets around. The little I know about is that they are marsupials, shouldn't get sugary food, I think nocturnal and very quick and active!

I would keep the two species in different rooms or at least at separate ends of a room until you have confirmation from a vet.

you could try asking your own vet or Marie_Kubiak or Rodneyvet or Vikkivet on here?

sue:wave:

dont have an answer to your question but like you we've fancied some sugar gliders for a few years now, adorable little things! I did a hell of alot of reading up on them, you can get them in the UK allthough they are very expensive. but aside from that they take a huge ammount of time and energy, maybe not so much if their in a decent sized group. but their very highly strung little things, like to hang in a pouch round your neck listening to your heart beat so they bond strongly with you....BUT.....youtube sugar gliders 'crabbing'.....noisey lil sods but gotta love em :love:

Ah I see. I'll see if I can find the space to put the glider cage somewhere else, problem is its going to be huge so.... Who knows, I might not even allow my buns in my room. Plan was to let them in my room in the day while my ducks are outside and otherwise they would have free range of hall and bathroom and when supervised they would have free range of most of the rest of the house.

dont have an answer to your question but like you we've fancied some sugar gliders for a few years now, adorable little things! I did a hell of alot of reading up on them, you can get them in the UK allthough they are very expensive. but aside from that they take a huge ammount of time and energy, maybe not so much if their in a decent sized group. but their very highly strung little things, like to hang in a pouch round your neck listening to your heart beat so they bond strongly with you....BUT.....youtube sugar gliders 'crabbing'.....noisey lil sods but gotta love em

I've heard about crabbing, it sounds cute :lol:

They're not so expensive here, from a breeder they'd be around $100. I'll probably be adopting 2 females (they're always on craigslist/kijiji and later on I'd buy a female baby from a breeder..or perhaps a male, since i've heard they're like buns how a male/female pair is best. I'm just scared to get a glider neutered..i'm scared enough with cats/dogs/rabbits!

dont have an answer to your question but like you we've fancied some sugar gliders for a few years now, adorable little things! I did a hell of alot of reading up on them, you can get them in the UK allthough they are very expensive. but aside from that they take a huge ammount of time and energy, maybe not so much if their in a decent sized group. but their very highly strung little things, like to hang in a pouch round your neck listening to your heart beat so they bond strongly with you....BUT.....youtube sugar gliders 'crabbing'.....noisey lil sods but gotta love em :love:

I read they pee on you and it stinks.. put me off :lol:

I read they pee on you and it stinks.. put me off :lol:

It stinks more depending on what diet they're on I think. I don't really care though, I'm used to smelly pee/poop :lol: Before I fixed my rabbits I was always getting sprayed by Izzy and Timmy.

Yes, you right William got confused with degus. I did a quick search about 6 months ago because somebody booked one into our vet and we couldn't imagine what could be wrong, the only think I found coming up fairly regularly on the pages I looked at was they can suffer from back leg paralysis which is thought to be caused by an insufficient diet.:wave:

Oh yeah I read all about degus about 3 years ago, would love them one day but gliders very much suit me. I love how they enjoy hanging out with you, I think it would be so awesome to have gliders in my bra all the time :lol: and how you can use a pop up tent for playtime. I can just imagine hanging a bunch of toys in the tent and then laying in the tent with a book and blanket and watching the gliders play around :love:

Back