• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hocks set ups

My Mini has a tendency to a sore hock on one foot (she dislocated her hock when she was about 6 months old so the leg is slightly out of alignment). I found removing any rough carpet helped, I replaced it with Lino. I also put fleeces or duvets where they sleep so that there is some give.

I posted on the other thread but I've recently had to make some adjustments to the kennel and run as Alfie was starting to develop a sore hock - he dislocated his hock last year & it was pinned, but it's the other hock which is starting to get sore as a result of uneven weight bearing.

I think it can be trial and error as what works for one might not work for another. I started by putting foam flooring down all over http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KIDS-PLAY-MAT...tness_Accessories_ET&var=&hash=item68c7344a48 and covering their hideout platform with a fleece blanket for more padding. That seems to be enough for now.

I have stock of non slip fluffy bath mats which i use. You can get them for as little as £2-£3 and easy to pop in the washing machine. Not good for chewers though :)

Thanks for the replies so far!!

KarenM - Are your foam mats stuck down? I'm not sure if they might be a bit too tempting for Roxy to chew....

Bath mats and fleeces sound good too. She chews and pulls out all the newspaper, but doesn't seem to chew soft things, so they could work.

Are your sore hock bunnies in a one level, or 2 storey accomodation. Have just got a new double hutch for when I eventually bond Roxy with my dinky dutch Chaos, just not sure now if it will be suitable, or whether the ramp would irritate her feet. Actually, I'm not even sure if they will be a suitable pairing, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

It's very very minor, just a small amount of fur missing at present.

Does she actually have sore hocks (redness, scabbing, bleeding) or just no fur? My mini rex has no fur on her hocks but they have never caused her an issue.

Does she actually have sore hocks (redness, scabbing, bleeding) or just no fur? My mini rex has no fur on her hocks but they have never caused her an issue.

She has a bit of fur missing, and a red dot on each "heel", about the size a biro lid. The spots are covered by fur thats moved across from her foot if that makes sense.... I'll try and get a pic in a bit.

KarenM - Are your foam mats stuck down? I'm not sure if they might be a bit too tempting for Roxy to chew....

No, they're just laid on top of the patio slabs - I cut them so they were a very tight fit, so they're not easily lifted but mine haven't bothered with them. I read on another thread that somebody else put the foam mats inside a duvet cover though to stop the bunnies nibbling them. :)

Back