• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I put on a 'how to look after list'?

mattyp

Warren Veteran
I'm going away soon and my friend has kindly offered to look after the buns whilst i'm away! I'm freaking out though and am litterally now terrified that something will happen!

I'm going to write a list of 'how to care' for the rabbits properly so far i've got:
How much food.
Vets number.
Emergency contact number.

What else do I need to put down? Or what would you put down?

Any particular health issues (not sure if they have any?) and what is actually NORMAL for them.

Eg. Ginger sneezing, i told our boarder not to worry about unless she collapses.

YOUR number

Mine was rather complex :oops:

i wrote a full list for my OH and stuck it to the fridge when i was away for 4 days recently! :oops:

it had a morning and night routine ie; feed, change water, change litter trays, top up hay. then i added the beware of's! ie; watch for lula running around your feet and dont stand on her, watch for blousy snatching the bag of treats out of your hand, watch for buddy trying to race out of the door as you try close it on a night.. etc, etc..

it was an A4 list, then i did one for the dogs. :shock:

i was worried sick as well but they were fine, it's just that feeling of nobody can look after your pets like you can!

have a good time away. :wave:

I can imagine mine being huge now :shock:

I want to put things like 'please don't pick them up' and stuff but I don't know if that will come across as being too bossy? :oops:

Luckily they have no health problems though!

I would try to give an outline of their typical day... i.e. what time you normally feed them and what with, when you usually clean litter trays, things like that. They probably won't stick to it rigidly but at least they can see what things need doing every day.

I want to put things like 'please don't pick them up' and stuff but I don't know if that will come across as being too bossy? :oops:

Put their 'likes' and 'dislikes' and put being held etc as a dislike :D

Put their 'likes' and 'dislikes' and put being held etc as a dislike :D

:lol:

"I like being stroked while you're sat on the floor with me. I don't like being picked up as it's scary when my feet can't reach the floor :("

You could just slip in somwhere that neither enjoy being pick up so avoid doing so if possible.

My list was about 2 A4 sheets long when I went away. :oops: I ran through daily routine what to feed and when etc and then went on to list possibilities of things that might happen..
I included a list of favourite foods to tempt them with should they show signs of stasis.
I also said what do do if the weather got really hot, and said that if in doubt I'd rather they were a bit cold than too hot.

I also measure out pellet portions and put them into individual sandwich bags so that I can just say one of these per day etc (I included more portions than needed just incase they were needed for any reason)

Literally EVRYTHING you do in a week with them write down!
Routines, food, medicine (if need be), checking bums/nails/ears etc.
Brushing for Maisie (assuming you do).

I went away for 4 months so know how you feel! I'm sure they'll be fine though!

I have a folder! :oops: well actually I have two folders... :oops:
The first folder covers everything on a daily basis:

Breakfast
Potties
Poops
Bum Checks
Hay
Health Check
Attention/Snuggles
Grooming
Dinner
Pre Bedtime Snack- Veggies
Bedtime
Medication
Treats
Cleaning out
RU Bunny Sitting Account
Warnings of what to look out for
Vets Numbers
Taxi Firms who are ok with having a bun in the car

Then the next folder 'All about bunnies'... Everything is more in depth.

Dangerous Foods and Plants
Food
Poops
Teeth
Shedding
Antibiotics
Illnesses
Behaviour
Interesting Bunny Facts
Leaflets and Flyers
Important Document regarding Jimby and Cookie- In the even of mine or Hubbys death.

So I think everything is covered

So far i've got this:
Day to Day:
- Feed one small handful of food twice a day (one at 9am another at 5pm)
- Change water
- Top up hay every day
- Litter tray will likely need cleaning out ever y 1-2 days
- Maisie will need a brush every now and again (every 2 days is normally fine). This is best done whilst she is eating otherwise she will strop
Things to watch out for:
- Not eating or drinking
- Mucky Bums/Runny poo (their poo should be very round and almost golden in colour)
Food:
- Avoid vegetables such as carrots as these will make their wee very orange
- It is probably best to just feed greens such as grass and dandelions
- Their vet number is: 01225 423652 and is the Oldfield Park Veterinary Surgery.
- If you have any questions or concerns http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Hates:
- Both Marvin and Maisie hate being picked up with a passion! It is best to sit with them and let them come to you and they will likely be happy crawling all over you (especially if you have some pellets).
- Marvin doesn’t like the smell of booze and will bite you if you smell of alcohol (odd I know)
- Marvin also doesn’t like being stroked infront of his eyes (to the sides) for some reason, so it’s best to stroke his back and the top of his head!
- Eating, sleeping, head rubs, nose rubs, and running about!
Other:
- Normally they are pretty good for chewing but if they do start chewing (for example skirting board) try giving them a useless bit of wood to chew instead, or if it gets bad you can use nail varnish remover to go over where they are chewing (the smell will then put them off).

Am I missing anything?

I would say you need to specify what a "small handful" of food is. I told my Mum to give a small handful when I went away for a week. When I got home, we'd nearly run out of food. When she showed me what her "small handful" was, I was mortified :shock: It was about twice as much as what I was giving :lol:

I would say you need to specify what a "small handful" of food is. I told my Mum to give a small handful when I went away for a week. When I got home, we'd nearly run out of food. When she showed me what her "small handful" was, I was mortified :shock: It was about twice as much as what I was giving :lol:

I'm going to show her when I get there but maybe I better write that down as well! :lol:

Yep my husbands handfuls were MUCH bigger than mine lol

so since then I have used a measure-I use a plastic disposable cup-you can put a line on the outside at the level you want.

much easier.

HOWEVER.... I usually don't mind friends giving buns a bit extra just in case the friend is late coming to feed them .

sue:wave:

Back