• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do those with indoor buns clean out all the hay?

Jenson

Mama Doe
Hello
This might be a daft question, but how often do those of you with indoor buns clean out "all" the hay from the base?

The reason I ask is that I wonder if we're a little over the top. I'm so paranoid that he could run out that I put lots in (next to his litter tray and a second tray in his run that is clean and he only uses for eating/digging).

Every evening I clean out his tray and change the hay in his cage that basically he poops around.
Do I need to change it all or can I pick out the poops with a total change every other day instead?

:wave: Hi!

Do you just use hay in the base of the litter tray?
When my buns were indoors...I tried a few things....ended up useing aubiose in the base of the litter tray, then a handful of hay in the litter tray on one side then a hay rack next to the tray for eating from. I would scoop the poops & wet aubiose out daily, along with any soiled hay. Then put the "old" clean hay from the hayrack into the base of the litter tray and "new" fresh hay into the hay rack.
Wasted less hay this way & also just topped up with fresh handfuls.

I did change the soiled aubiose,hay & poops daily...for less mess on their feet etc. & to stop any smells.

I also hung a ball of hay as another extra hay source. As long as bun has enough hay to graze on 24/7...its fine...plus - they wont wee on all the hay they dig in etc & will still eat it.

Some days I change the whole tray over as its more poops & wee than fresh hay & aubiose....but some days its not bad....depends how much aubiose I put in too. I quite like to freshen it up daily....so put a little less aubiose and then i dont waste it. Hay is not such an issue as I buy it in the bale.

Not sure if my rambles helped much...:lol::lol::lol::lol:

PS Jenson looks just like Archie!

I only put hay in the litter tray so it gets emptied with that and I top up once a day.

Is your bun neutered? If not that might help with poop scattering. If he is, then just having hay/litter in the trays may help him realise that's the place to poop not everywhere.

You could also try a hanging basket with the hay in so he can't poop in it :)

I only put hay in the litter tray so it gets emptied with that and I top up once a day.

Is your bun neutered? If not that might help with poop scattering. If he is, then just having hay/litter in the trays may help him realise that's the place to poop not everywhere.

You could also try a hanging basket with the hay in so he can't poop in it :)

so well said....just what I meant to say!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well we use blankets to line their base and then they have two large understorage boxes which they use as potties and feeding and then they have a smaller box which we put the 'special' good quality hay in to and they just eat from that one... sometimes a few poops will pop out too but rarely wee.
We change all of the boxes daily, twice a day in hot weather and change the blankets and give the cage a good clean once a week.

I put all their hay in their litter trays too. As I use quite large trays and two for the lions I change them three times a week for the lops and twice a week for the lions. To do it more often I would have to use smaller trays and they enjoy getting in and having a good rummage.

Jaja has his own room that he sleeps in so only have hay in his litter tray that gets fresh hay in every morning and cleaned out every second day, but when its hot outside i clean his tray out every morning :D

I've been wondering about this as I have 4 trays and change them daily, I throw all the hay out and scoop out wet megazorb and then move it around to make sure it's clean, then I take hay out of their bedding area and top, put all round the edges fresh and then put fresh in the bedding area, baskets etc, I've lost count now how many times they've gone to the black rubbish bag and started eating the hay I'm throwing away :roll::lol:

I've been wondering about this as I have 4 trays and change them daily, I throw all the hay out and scoop out wet megazorb and then move it around to make sure it's clean, then I take hay out of their bedding area and top, put all round the edges fresh and then put fresh in the bedding area, baskets etc, I've lost count now how many times they've gone to the black rubbish bag and started eating the hay I'm throwing away :roll::lol:

:lol: Jimbles does this too!

We only put hay in the litter trays (and a few boxes e.g. empty ice pop boxes for him to play with). The main litter tray gets changed every other day, the little one in his cage (which he rarely uses) I change twice a week but he eats all the hay from that every day so the hay gets changed every day.

Eevee has her old hay removed twice a week. Although we place it in the litter tray, she has made a little toilet of her own next to the litter tray, so the hay is never dirty and she can sit beside the tray on the toilet, whilst eating her nice clean hay. I like to think she is being rather clever :lol:.

Thanks for all the replies (sorry, internet issues so catching up).

I'm wondering if I get this wrong a little!
Jenson has a corner tray in his cage that he uses nicely, this has wood pellets and hay with a big pile of hay next to it. I think this pile is the problem, but he doesn't like the rack and digs it out if I put it in anything, I've just got a ball thing so we'll see how that works but I don't think its enough hay for when I'm not here as he's a good little hay monster.

Maybe I just need to experiment more. I just wonder that I throw out loads more than is needed.

And yes, he does look like Archie :wave: That's his baby picture, I need to put some more up because he's coming up one!

Back