• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

moulting

Bunny Mum2b

Warren Scout
I recently adopted a bunny n he is moulting really badly. I got a bit confused as to whether he is anxious because he is moulting or moulting because he is anxious. He is going to see the vets on friday, but I was wondering whether it would be worth trying to brush him if its causing him discomfort?

If someone could advice me on the way round the moulting and anxiety is, then I'd be really grateful.

He has been living at PAH in the adoption section for at least a couple of months. Prior to this he was indoors I believe. We've put him indoors in a room with the central heating off n the window slightly open. His moulting hasn't got worse since we picked him up monday night, he just looks such a sorry state.

I might be wrong but I don't think its to do with a sudden change in the temperature of his environment.

Yes sounds like you are right. Mine are all just coming out of moult at the moment. Is there new fur regrowing ok?

Most of mine are going through a moult at the moment so I am sure it is nothing to worry about. Does he have "dandruff" in the area's that he is moulting? If so could be a sign of mites. But it is more than likely just the change in environment.

Yes sounds like you are right. Mine are all just coming out of moult at the moment. Is there new fur regrowing ok?

I think so, he certainly doesn't have any bald patches. He just has loads n loads of tufts of grey fur(where he has black fur) that are sticking out.

Most of mine are going through a moult at the moment so I am sure it is nothing to worry about. Does he have "dandruff" in the area's that he is moulting? If so could be a sign of mites. But it is more than likely just the change in environment.

Hmmmm.....not that I can see. Will keep an eye on him n if I see anything that looks supiciously dandruffy take him to the vets asap, rather than waiting until friday.

Thank u both so much for the replies. Its really, really helpful - he is probably grumpy cause he is moulting (altho he is so sweet - if this is him grumpy, I can't wait until he has finished moulting n is neutered!). My existing rabbits don't seem to get as moulty, but maybe its because they are white n so its not as obvious and they groom each other.

Thank u for taking the time to reply.

Back