PDA

View Full Version : moulting

Bunny Mum2b
21-06-2011, 10:00 PM
I recently adopted a bunny n he is moulting really badly. I got a bit confused as to whether he is anxious because he is moulting or moulting because he is anxious. He is going to see the vets on friday, but I was wondering whether it would be worth trying to brush him if its causing him discomfort?

If someone could advice me on the way round the moulting and anxiety is, then I'd be really grateful.

Elena
21-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Was he previously an indoor bun and now an outdoor bun? Or other way round?

Bunny Mum2b
21-06-2011, 10:23 PM
He has been living at PAH in the adoption section for at least a couple of months. Prior to this he was indoors I believe. We've put him indoors in a room with the central heating off n the window slightly open. His moulting hasn't got worse since we picked him up monday night, he just looks such a sorry state.

I might be wrong but I don't think its to do with a sudden change in the temperature of his environment.

Elena
21-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Yes sounds like you are right. Mine are all just coming out of moult at the moment. Is there new fur regrowing ok?

MichG
21-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Most of mine are going through a moult at the moment so I am sure it is nothing to worry about. Does he have "dandruff" in the area's that he is moulting? If so could be a sign of mites. But it is more than likely just the change in environment.

Bunny Mum2b
22-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Yes sounds like you are right. Mine are all just coming out of moult at the moment. Is there new fur regrowing ok?

I think so, he certainly doesn't have any bald patches. He just has loads n loads of tufts of grey fur(where he has black fur) that are sticking out.

Bunny Mum2b
22-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Most of mine are going through a moult at the moment so I am sure it is nothing to worry about. Does he have "dandruff" in the area's that he is moulting? If so could be a sign of mites. But it is more than likely just the change in environment.

Hmmmm.....not that I can see. Will keep an eye on him n if I see anything that looks supiciously dandruffy take him to the vets asap, rather than waiting until friday.

Thank u both so much for the replies. Its really, really helpful - he is probably grumpy cause he is moulting (altho he is so sweet - if this is him grumpy, I can't wait until he has finished moulting n is neutered!). My existing rabbits don't seem to get as moulty, but maybe its because they are white n so its not as obvious and they groom each other.

Thank u for taking the time to reply.