• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

watery eye that she keeps half closing

NanooNanoo

New Kit
Hiya,
My little Mindy seems to have something wrong with her eye. I realised that she is spending a lot of time with one eye half closed. I thought she was sleepy at first, until I realised it was just one eye. I've tried to have a look at it, and comparing it to the other I can't see anything wrong apart from that it looks ever so slightly watery. Not in a big way, just a little bit, there's no tear drops or anything.

As far as I can think it doesn't look different, perhaps ever so slightly red.

Could she just have got hay in it or something? Do rabbits do this generally? I've not had a rabbit since I was a little girl so I'm not sure what it could be. Is it likely to clear on its own or do I need to take her to the vets and get eye drops or something?

Thanks for your help
Rach, Mork and Mindy xx

it could have been scratched by hay but it could also be due to something like troublesome teeth or an infection.

best pop her along to the vets to have it looked at:)

She needs to be seen by a Vet. She may have sustained a scratch to her cornea. Left untreated this can develop into a corneal abscess.

I would check under her eyelids now, incase there is a foreign body there, maybe a small piece of hay.

Good luck at the Vet :)

forgive my ignorance, how do troublesome teeth affect an eye? And how on earth do I get to look under her eyelid?!

Thank you for all your help - this forum is a god send!

Their teeth constantly grow and have very long roots, if they are growing abnormally this can cause pressure on the eye causing it to be painful and watery. The quicker you can see a vet about this the better as it can be very painful if it is teeth.

Could also be a blocked tear duct or an infection. Like the others have said she needs to be seen by a vet as soon as you are able to really.

Okay, thanks, she's still eating and otherwise as mischievous as ever (and rather cross with me for trying to look at her eyelid...), so I'm keeping all crossed that it's just a bit of hay in her eye.

She's had plenty of stuff to chew to keep her teeth healthy. She can and does open her eye, but just seems to keep half closing it.

Do you think taking her first thing tomorrow morning is soon enough? Is emergency vet too extreme?

Thank you again xx

Hiya,one of my bunnies-Nobby also suffers occasionally with a watery eye.The vet suspected it could be tooth related.we have been monitoring it but it comes & goes.sometimes it can be runny for a week,sometimes a couple of days then other times he can be fine for ages.We have eye drops to help relieve the symptoms.However recently he has had damp nostrils & a little matting under the chin,over the weekend has started with a messy bottom- all classic symptoms of dental problems so we have decided it's time to thoroughly investigate what is going on. Hope your bunny is ok but I'd say it's probably best to see the vet just to make sure. :)

I'm sure first thing tomorrow would be absolutely fine. Hopefully she'll be absolutely fine but at least you can have your mind put at rest-it's awful worrying about them.x

Poor Nobby. I hope he gets better soon. Big love to him :love:

Mindy's poo and wee seem normal (hard to tell with two if there were weird poos who they belonged to, but all the poo seems normal and to be honest more golden recently than they've ever been). Clean bums all round too.

I'll take her tomorrow and see what they say. Will let you know.

xx

I'm sure first thing tomorrow would be absolutely fine. Hopefully she'll be absolutely fine but at least you can have your mind put at rest-it's awful worrying about them.x

I can't get over how freaked I am - I don't think I'd be this worried if my boyfriends eye looked sore! :lol:

Thank you for your help xx

I can't get over how freaked I am - I don't think I'd be this worried if my boyfriends eye looked sore! :lol:

Thank you for your help xx

Hey no worries at all:):lol: I know what you mean,my hubby often says i love them more than him!I worry about mine so much. Dreading taking Nobby in tomorrow because he has to have another anaesthetic.hopefully he'll be ok but I won't be able to relax till I know he's come round. They're my furry babies & I just love them so much:love: Good luck tomorrow.xx

:wave: one of my buns Jingle had this once exactly how your describing, I did bring him in to have a look in his eye and bathed it with cooled boiled water on cotton wool, couldn't see anything and he was chipper in himself, he'd had a milky discharge coming from his eyes when I adopted him but it didn't make him close it over at all - that was an infection then and was given fucithalmic ointment, so I decided to wait 24 hours and I think it was just over that I noticed he was opening it fully, I'll never know if it was hay or maybe he caught it grooming his face, if your worried I'd get it checked out at the vet though and get nails on front paws checked etc good luck:)

Back