• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to make friends and alienate OH

Koni

Young Bun
I'm very aware the bunnies have only been here a month, they are not aggressive (ever!) and will come over (when I have food). But I am so used to the dogs who are affectionate it's quite strange having cute furries that aren't particularly interested in interacting.

So... how do I make friends with them?

They let me stroke them or brush them for a couple of goes and then bungle off.

Do they "do" anything? Like tricks or owt? :oops: I'm trying to teach them their names.

When I was little Cuddles (my bunny) would run around me playing. These two are much more reserved and seem to laze around a lot :roll::lol:

Bunnies are kind of like that, I'm afraid. They are so soft and cute looking, but not all that cuddly, on the whole! You can get them used to little routines that involve food though - call their names in the same voice every time, and they will then associate that voice with something nice and come running.

My sister taught her rabbit to spin around for food and stand up and walk. I can get Smoo to do this too. :) They prefer it if you lie down on the floor with them. But I think it takes a good six months for some bunnies to trust you. Don't give up. Mine run over to me like dogs, but if there's no food they soon run off! :lol:

Mostly, they're an animal that you have to accept on their terms. If I lie on the floor, mine will come over and jump on me and demand stroking, but they don't like to be cuddled. Probably reminds them too much of being eaten. :lol: Mine will tolerate a quick cuddle when I really need one now and then.

You could try and clicker train them, like you would any other animal. The basic principle would work the same and then they could do tricks, you'd need lots of patience though!
http://www.clickerbunny.com/
make sure you really read up on the science (operant conditioning) behind it first of all or you might end up frustrated.

I spend time with mine but not necessarily interacting. They enjoy that, they like just having a human around. :) and food, bunnies are very food orientated! Hand feed pellets and they will soon get used to you!

one of my previous bunnies was very cuddly and always came hopping over to me. Ithought she loved me to bits (as I did her) but if I was cuddling her and my OH came outside rustling plastic bag, she'd abandon me and go running to him :lol:

Back