• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with persistant 'snuffles'

Andy1987

New Kit
Hi, we have had our bunny, a lion head cross dwarf, for 6 weeks now, he was 10 weeks old when we got him from pets at home. At first he was absolutely fine, running round, jumping hopping skipping, having the time of his life. A few days later we noticed his poo's were not right, very sloppy and watery. We took him to the vets and they gave him bio-lapis and fibreplex, and he improved in about 5 days. He was still fine in himself throughout. At this point we took him for his myxomatosis injection, the vets commenting at the time how healthy he was! Then, two weeks later we noticed him sneezing and discharge from one of his nostrils, but he was still eating drinking and jumping around happy etc. So we took him to the vets again, they gave him bio-lapis again, and baytrill antibiotics to treat him for a week. A week later still no improvement, went back to the vets and he advised to keep him on the baytril for another week! So we did, all the time him still happy and eating etc. A week later, you guessed it, still sneezing, matted round the face etc. So the vet gave him septrim antibiotics this time, and bio-lapis again. He happily had the medicine and biolapis all week, but still no better. So back to the vets, again!! Keep him on the septrim for another week the vet advised, but now his behaviour and character have totally changed. He won't let me give him his medicine, I have to squirt at his mouth! Which I don't enjoy doing! He won't come out of his hutch, and just seems either very subdued or very angry, stamping and turning his back on us. His face is very matted and he is still sneezing. Just very worried about him, not sure if the vet is doing the right thing? Or just making lots of money. He also said that it will cause scarring on the lungs? Does anyone have any advice or had a similar experience. Thanks for reading on so far! Very much appreciated. Sorry it was so long winded. Thanks very much, Andy

Yes, lots of wood shavings and also some hay..

When I first got my bunny Charlie from P@H 2 years ago I put him on woodshavings and experienced a similar thing. Took him to the vets and found he was very allergic to the stuff. It is well known to cause respiratory problems in bunnies, so the first thing I would do is take all the shavings out and thoroughly clean the hutch as it could be the dust affecting him.

Then just line the hutch with newspaper and hay :) fingers crossed that might help/cure the problem.

When I first got my bunny Charlie from P@H 2 years ago I put him on woodshavings and experienced a similar thing. Took him to the vets and found he was very allergic to the stuff. It is well known to cause respiratory problems in bunnies, so the first thing I would do is take all the shavings out and thoroughly clean the hutch as it could be the dust affecting him.

Then just line the hutch with newspaper and hay :) fingers crossed that might help/cure the problem.

Good advice. In addition, shavings can be injested & cause blockages and so best avoided.

If you are able to, you could get some lino and line the hutch with it & then use a washing up bowl (or similar) as a litter bowl. Line this with newspaper & fill with hay. Don't put hay anywhere else other than in the bowl or above it (in a rack etc). Rabbits likes to chew while they go to the loo and so in theory he will automatically use the bowl to toilet in. This makes cleaning out much easier & quicker, the area nicer for the bun & will prolong the life of the hutch :wave:

Thank you! Hope Charlie is now ok and healthy? How did the vet know he was allergic to it? Is there some sort of test they can do? I am going to take all the wood shavings tonite. What do you put in his litter tray? As I normally put some wood shavings in that? Thank you again, Andy

Good advice. In addition, shavings can be injested & cause blockages and so best avoided.

If you are able to, you could get some lino and line the hutch with it & then use a washing up bowl (or similar) as a litter bowl. Line this with newspaper & fill with hay. Don't put hay anywhere else other than in the bowl or above it (in a rack etc). Rabbits likes to chew while they go to the loo and so in theory he will automatically use the bowl to toilet in. This makes cleaning out much easier & quicker, the area nicer for the bun & will prolong the life of the hutch :wave:

Ahh, hadn't thought of lino, that would make cleaning out much easier! :D would he be comfy enough hopping round on this, and sleeping on it at night? (he's an outside bunny). We have a corner litter tray that he uses...most of the time :roll: I think I will try to hang something above it! Thank you for the advice! :D

Ahh, hadn't thought of lino, that would make cleaning out much easier! :D would he be comfy enough hopping round on this, and sleeping on it at night? (he's an outside bunny). We have a corner litter tray that he uses...most of the time :roll: I think I will try to hang something above it! Thank you for the advice! :D

You're very welcome. I use carpet sample mats & old towels/fleeces to add a bit of warmth & texture on top of the lino but in the summer I find the buns would rather not have them at all. Do you have a run attached to the hutch?

I also cover my hutches at night - just with tarpauline during the warmer months though. This is so that they feel "safer" should anything enter the garden & frighten them.

Thank you! Hope Charlie is now ok and healthy? How did the vet know he was allergic to it? Is there some sort of test they can do? I am going to take all the wood shavings tonite. What do you put in his litter tray? As I normally put some wood shavings in that? Thank you again, Andy

He is absolutely fine and healthy now!
He did the same as yours and did antibiotics for a week/2 weeks (can't remember how long now) and when there was no improvement and culture tests for Pasturella came back negative then he suggested the sawdust.

In my litter trays I either use just thick layer of news paper with loads of hay on top (in my very large litter tray, which is the base of an indoor cage) and in my smaller trays I use Wood Pellet litter, which is in the cat litter section of P@H and is a white and green bag, it is pellets of wood pulp which go mushy when the bunnies pee on it, I then put hay on top of this. This seems to have no effect on him. Some people on here use a product called Care Fresh or Megazorb instead of the litter.

You're very welcome. I use carpet sample mats & old towels/fleeces to add a bit of warmth & texture on top of the lino but in the summer I find the buns would rather not have them at all. Do you have a run attached to the hutch?

I also cover my hutches at night - just with tarpauline during the warmer months though. This is so that they feel "safer" should anything enter the garden & frighten them.

Do you find they don't chew on the carpet/fleece? I wouldn't want him to eat it! :D I have made him a cover for the 'open' bit at the front of the hutch, out of some tarpaulin with a part that zips open and closed. But I don't cover the whole hutch at night, should I always cover it fully at night? I don't have a run attached to the hutch, but my garden is safe and completely enclosed so we let him have the garden as his run a couple of times a day for an hour or two. Would you recommend I get a run that he can use whenever he wants and keep his door open? Thanks

He is absolutely fine and healthy now!
He did the same as yours and did antibiotics for a week/2 weeks (can't remember how long now) and when there was no improvement and culture tests for Pasturella came back negative then he suggested the sawdust.

In my litter trays I either use just thick layer of news paper with loads of hay on top (in my very large litter tray, which is the base of an indoor cage) and in my smaller trays I use Wood Pellet litter, which is in the cat litter section of P@H and is a white and green bag, it is pellets of wood pulp which go mushy when the bunnies pee on it, I then put hay on top of this. This seems to have no effect on him. Some people on here use a product called Care Fresh or Megazorb instead of the litter.

Glad to hear he is now ok! :thumb: forgive me but what are culture tests? Could I request one at the vets? I have just finished taking all the sawdust out of his hutch and cleaning it out, he now had straw and hay instead! So fingers crossed! Im guna get him some of the wood pellet litter tmoro, Thanks!

Glad to hear he is now ok! :thumb: forgive me but what are culture tests? Could I request one at the vets? I have just finished taking all the sawdust out of his hutch and cleaning it out, he now had straw and hay instead! So fingers crossed! Im guna get him some of the wood pellet litter tmoro, Thanks!

I've never used wood pellet litter but there's one sort you shouldn't use and I can't remember which, it's either the non clumping or the clumping sort :oops:

TBH, if you can get a good supply of newspapers it's just as good :D

I would also ditch the straw - sorry it sounds like I'm being very critical - I don't mean to be :wave: You don't need it though (although there's nothing actually wrong in using it) & it will make things easier/simpler for you if you just use hay :)

Last edited:
Do you find they don't chew on the carpet/fleece? I wouldn't want him to eat it! :D I have made him a cover for the 'open' bit at the front of the hutch, out of some tarpaulin with a part that zips open and closed. But I don't cover the whole hutch at night, should I always cover it fully at night? I don't have a run attached to the hutch, but my garden is safe and completely enclosed so we let him have the garden as his run a couple of times a day for an hour or two. Would you recommend I get a run that he can use whenever he wants and keep his door open? Thanks

Definitely :D:wave: A secure, fox proof run attached to the hutch is the best way :D

None of my foster buns have chewed carpet or towels. It is of course something you need to keep an eye on and if you should find him doing it then it needs to be removed immediately.

Covering the hutch is a personal thing and how much of it is covered depends on the sort of set up you have. My hutches sit on top of the runs and the hutch is completely covered at night but the buns still have 24/7 access to the run beneath. My garden is also very secure but in theory something could enter it - many buns die of fright and so covering them over just reduces the risk.

Sounds like you're a great bunny owner who really cares & wants to do the right thing :wave:

Definitely :D:wave: A secure, fox proof run attached to the hutch is the best way :D

Covering the hutch is a personal thing and how much of it is covered depends on the sort of set up you have. My hutches sit on top of the runs and the hutch is completely covered at night but the buns still have 24/7 access to the run beneath. My garden is also very secure but in theory something could enter it - many buns die of fright and so covering them over just reduces the risk.

Sounds like you're a great bunny owner who really cares & wants to do the right thing :wave:

Yes I might have to have a look around for fixed run then, suppose that would be better so he could come out and go back in as he pleases! I mite possibly make one for him actually. I have got a big bag of hay so I'll use it till it runs
out! Yea I rely want to give him a good life and for him to be happy just hope he gets better soon! Thanks agen! :wave:

Yes you can request one at the vets if you want, they can be quite costly (can't remember how much I paid for mine but can find out tomorrow if you want?) I would give him a week or so without the shavings and see how he goes before asking for one, as it is often uneccessary if it is as simple as removing shavings, it can also be pretty stressful for the bunny as (I think, I wasn't present when they did mine) they take a swab from up the nose and send it to a lab for testing. Definitely worth thinking about if he gets worse or removing the saw dust doesn't help him.

Hope it all works out for you and him :D sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Don't use clumping litter, the non clumping wood pellets kind is fine for rabbits. I've used it in the past, I stopped purely because it is very heavy to move around. I then used megazorb for a while, which is good but one of mine digs in it so now I just use newspaper :)

Yes you can request one at the vets if you want, they can be quite costly (can't remember how much I paid for mine but can find out tomorrow if you want?) I would give him a week or so without the shavings and see how he goes before asking for one, as it is often uneccessary if it is as simple as removing shavings, it can also be pretty stressful for the bunny as (I think, I wasn't present when they did mine) they take a swab from up the nose and send it to a lab for testing. Definitely worth thinking about if he gets worse or removing the saw dust doesn't help him.

Hope it all works out for you and him :D sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Yes that would be great if you get a price, if it's not too much trouble? Although I wouldn't look forward to putting him under a lot of stress as it seems to really stress him visiting the vets, which can't be helping! Thanks

Yes that would be great if you get a price, if it's not too much trouble? Although I wouldn't look forward to putting him under a lot of stress as it seems to really stress him visiting the vets, which can't be helping! Thanks

No problem, I work at the vets I took him to, although prices do vary between vets and this was nearly 2 years ago now. I work for a Companion Care vets (one of the ones in P@H) so will let you know how much we would charge to give you a vague idea.

One of the members on here had some done a few of months ago for the suffles and her rabbit hated it so much he kicked her OH and dislocated his thumb, so should maybe be looked at as last reosrt.

Also mine was all paid for by P@H as I noticed it not long after I got him home, maybe you could speak to the manager at your store and see if they will pay for treatment? They might not if you don't use a Companion Care vets but its worth a try :) The guys who work at my store are absolutely fantastic about it and we have seen a number of their animals with respiratory probs and eye probs that people have bought to us after purchasing.

Back