• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foraging info

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
:wave: I am intending to go foraging at some point for my two...other half is a very good naturlist so should have no problems with identifying with him with me but I have a two questions....

Do you wash them and keep them in the fridge for a few days or just feed them when you get them? And do you feed in place of usual veg or as an addition?

:wave: I am intending to go foraging at some point for my two...other half is a very good naturlist so should have no problems with identifying with him with me but I have a two questions....

Do you wash them and keep them in the fridge for a few days or just feed them when you get them? And do you feed in place of usual veg or as an addition?

I feed instead of veg.

I also feed some straight away (I usually forage after rain to save washing, but of it was a ground plant I would wash) - I also dry some for the winter.

For example with hawthorn I collect 2 large bags a week - one bag is kept in a tub in the shade in the garage and fed daily, the other bag is dried and bagged for winter.

If you are getting brambles and hawthorn make sure you take secateurs to save your fingers ;)

I feed instead of veg.

I also feed some straight away (I usually forage after rain to save washing, but of it was a ground plant I would wash) - I also dry some for the winter.

For example with hawthorn I collect 2 large bags a week - one bag is kept in a tub in the shade in the garage and fed daily, the other bag is dried and bagged for winter.

If you are getting brambles and hawthorn make sure you take secateurs to save your fingers ;)

Great thanks for the tips. Do you dry it by hanging or on a low heat in the oven? We go on so many walks and as my other half is normally rooting around collecting bugs etc :roll: so have plently of time to forage rather than just hanging about waiting for him!

Great thanks for the tips. Do you dry it by hanging or on a low heat in the oven? We go on so many walks and as my other half is normally rooting around collecting bugs etc :roll: so have plently of time to forage rather than just hanging about waiting for him!

I haven't mastered the art of oven drying :lol:

I put mine in baskets of cardboard boxes in the greenhouse or porch and let the sun dry them :)

:wave: Went walking round Park Farm on Sunday as we are still car less :( loads of interesting stuff! Also found crab apple and wild cherry trees may have to go back!

I have a crab apple tree, which part can they eat, the branches and leaves? - I should know this I always read these foraging threads, there is a really long one which goes into loads of details about all the different things and how to store etc

I have a crab apple tree, which part can they eat, the branches and leaves? - I should know this I always read these foraging threads, there is a really long one which goes into loads of details about all the different things and how to store etc

oops :oops:Sorry should have mentioned that I was thinking of us humans not the bunnies!

I dry a lot on trays in the airing cupboard, then pop it into paper bags or boxes :wave:

How long do I need to dry leaves for if I want to store them for winter please?

I've got a lovely apple tree I want to harvest and my parents have loads of plantain in their lawn!

I put things on a low heat until they are crispy.

Berries are frozen on baking trays in the freezer them bagged when frozen so they don't clump.

I put things on a low heat until they are crispy.

Berries are frozen on baking trays in the freezer them bagged when frozen so they don't clump.

:wave:hi! What a good idea for freezing berries......have to ask - are they for humans or bunnies? What type of berries?:)

When I dry anything I just tie a small bunch together and hang it upside down in the shed.

It takes quite a few weeks for it to dry out but I just leave it there until the winter time then crush and crumble the dried leaves as I want them.

:D

Back