• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a rabbit into a carrier! - back from vet-not good news

Laura10101

Warren Scout
Hi,

Anyone got any good tips how to get a bunny into a carrier? She too clever to be fooled by me putting food in it to get her inside! Vet appointment is at 7.10 and i'm already panicking about the fight to get her in!

Thanks,

laura

back from the vets- not good news. She is going in on friday to get her teeth spurs removed, tear duct flushed and ears cleaned. I feel like such a bad bunny mum :(

Last edited:
do you have a puppy pen at all?

If so place it round bunny then into carrier :)

If not, erm :?

Can you pick her up? If so, lift her and pop her in backwards so she can't see it coming.

Also putting the carrier out now where she can access may mean she ignores the significance by 7 as nothings happened, so she may be more inclined to go in.

We tend to leave their carrier (without the mesh door) in their runs as hidey places, and they're not scared of them anymore. It's a bit late for tonight (although Tamsin's suggestion is a good one) but worth considering for the future.

Another option for tonight is to not show her the carrier but pick her up as if for a cuddle, then take her to the carrier and insert bum first!

We have to wrestle and chase Poppy to get her in :roll: She's a right madam when we have to get her in the carrier.. We block off all areas we couldn't get to her and herd her in lol :?

last time she managed to fight off 2 adults in her quest not to go in the carrier! We can lift her most of the time so i think we might need to do that, although trying to lift 6.7kg of bunny into a carrier is not easy! Maybe i should film it, i bet everyone would get a great laugh at us!:lol:

best of luck:D

i'll be doing the same tomorrow - both of mine are due for dental checks. es is no problem at all but eric...:roll: i leave his carrier out at all times for him to use and not be scared of. hasn't worked yet.........

a friend of mine had a very aggressive rabbit until it calmed down she would wrap a towel around him and put him in the carrier unwrap him and close the door

she left the carriers in the pen like mentioned but it just didnt work

"No mum, i'm not coming out til you put the carrier away"

daisyintunnel.jpg

Pick her up and put her in backwards?

Or dismantl the carrier till just the base and place her in that? Then put the carrier door and top on quick!

We have to use both techniques on Benjamin and Evie!

I have a permanent penned off area of their room which is never closed, so when we have to go to the vets I get them both in there, close the door with me inside, then corner them with the carrier and they have no option but to go in...

Thanks for all you advice guys! I think itll come in useful since shes prob going to be a regular at the vet getting her teeth done :(

I think itll come in useful since shes prob going to be a regular at the vet getting her teeth done :(

:( What did the vet say? Is it the molars?

ETA: Just read the update in your first post so ignore the above. You are not a bad mummy though - if you were, you wouldn't have taken her to the vet. I hope it all goes well. :love:

Sorry to hear that your trip to the vets didn't go too well. Bramble hates the carrier, he only has to catch a glimpse of it and he stomps and runs away. I now take the top of it and put in out of site, then pick him up (which he hates too) and carry him to it. He probably hates me for this :roll:

You are not a bad bunny mummy at all :love:

Last edited:
sorry to hear the bad news however on a more positive note it is very good that this has all been noticed and your bun will feel much better afterwards. you are not a bad bun mum, you obviously care very much about you bunny :wave: sending vibes

I have terrible trouble with 2 of mine. they are in shed with attached cat flap to run. Last time, I moved the run and put the carrier up against the cat flap and when they ran "outside" - trapped! Am sure they hate me for it :(

Don't feel like you are a bad bunny mum, think of all the buns that live with people who wouldn't even think to get them checked.

My buns go into scarper mode when they hear the noise of the carrier :lol: and Frankie has turned into being unhandelable (not a word, but can't think what else to put!) She has learnt all my tricks to get her in it :lol: I had to ring the vets the other day to say we'd be late as even though there was two of us, we just couldn't get her in for ages!! She has been found to have bad teeth even though she is a hay monster, so I'm thinking she is certainly going to have to get used to the carrier one way or another as she'll be spending a lot more time at the vets.We'll find out in a couple of weeks if it's likely to be a recurring problem. :(

Back