• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Edited Post 46 (23/11/11) Our new setup.......Check it out!

chelle

Warren Veteran
Edited post: 23/11/11 - Post 46

Hi all!:wave:

OH & I have been thinking about this for a while....Ive got a shed I could convert...but we needed the storage...and we also wanted to spend more time with the buns and if we used the shed they would be at the bottom of the garden and when they were housed there in their hutches - most evenings I would be out there...rain or shine and OH would be indoors....so it was not enjoyable.

Of course we also wanted what was best for the buns....and that means space space space! lol!
This is our solution for now....and we are really pleased...we plan to make the garden abit more secure and give them access to that in time.

Sorry its long...hope it helps anyone with some idea's!

:D

P1100015.jpg

Our new sideboard....secret conversion to bunny bolt hole - indoor free range access area!

P1100014.jpg

The buns sideboard shelf....Master Archie posing...he spends most days sleeping on the cushion or the rug indoors!

P1100017.jpg

Tunnel from inside the sideboard - Archies head! lol!

P1100018.jpg

This is where the tunnel leads to outdoors into their joined hutches....

P1100019.jpg

The tunnel that goes from the sideboard - through the wall and into the hutches...the bricks are for steps - but mainly because the hutches are raised off the ground and the bases can be lifted out - so the bricks are used to weight the base down to stop predators being able to move them.

P1100023.jpg

Master Archie loves the new setup and jumps about alot! lol!

P1100020.jpg

Arrabella & Archie hanging out together.....

P1100025.jpg

Poor Indiana in the upstairs area for 24 hours. Its not ideal...The girls are being swopped over every night...then they go crazy running about stretching their legs...they have been seperated as they were fighting and wounded each other quite badly. Now that Im home again - and they are almost healed, I will be getting their VHD vacs and then trying to rebond...;)

P1100026.jpg

Tunnel from joined hutches to run area.

P1100027.jpg

This panel slides into the hutches where the wooden tunnel comes to the run. This is screwed in for security when needed. Dont know why the picture is side-ways:roll:...its the right way up when I copy the link...sorry about that!:roll::D

:wave:

Last edited:
This looks fantastic and has given me lots of ideas. Just need to persuade the OH now :D

yeah! :lol: Tell OH - that my OH has found it VERY REWARDING! :lol: Seriously though - he has felt that now he actually is able to see them & spend time with them in passing etc - he feels he has more of a bond with them....otherwise OH was not going to sit in the rain to see them - especially when they run away alot!:roll::lol:
OH is now the one who always feeds them breakfast....:lol:

Ha ha, I'll pass that on to him :p I think more than anything he'd be delighted to get them out of the house so he wasn't constantly treading on rabbit poo :p I have a big garage-sized shed that he has made noises about converting but I think he's underestimated the scale of the job and thinks he can just chuck the rabbits out there as it is. Over my dead body!! :lol:

Ha ha, I'll pass that on to him :p I think more than anything he'd be delighted to get them out of the house so he wasn't constantly treading on rabbit poo :p I have a big garage-sized shed that he has made noises about converting but I think he's underestimated the scale of the job and thinks he can just chuck the rabbits out there as it is. Over my dead body!! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Ive just answered on your thread about the run...hope the link helps you - thats what youre aiming for! :lol: Go take som epiccies and show us - Im sure some folks will explain how to do the jobs itself...!:D

Oh wow that's awesome!!! :D I love it!! :love: was it difficult to tunnel through the wall? I'd love to do something like that!!

Awww wow!! Its very erm...inventive! :D I wish my dad had had the patience to do something like that, ive had 6 hutches in 3 years and ive ended up throwing/giving them away! :(

Does it get draughty in the house with that tube going through the wall? :shock:

I do love it though, great idea!! :wave:

FANTASTIC!:thumb:

I just LOVE the tunnel into the side board in the home!!! Tis way beyond my scope ....(live with my mum anyway- don't think she'd be too pleased! :lol:) ; then the tunnel to the annex....am looking for new ideas to extend our little complex. Nice One! :D

What an awesome setup you've got there chelle :love:

You should be very proud of what you've achieved.

I saw the sideboard and was like :shock:

THEN I saw the tunnel...AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I love it!

What you need to do is invite your mates round, then ask for someone to pass you some plates out of the sideboard. Then they'll open the door and BUNNY!!!!!

What you need to do is invite your mates round, then ask for someone to pass you some plates out of the sideboard. Then they'll open the door and BUNNY!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Yeah - I think I'll have to do this! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thankyou ALL for you wonderful comments!:D:D:love:
We are very pleased...I was so excited to see it when I came back to UK....so funny opening the sideboard and a bunny hops out! lol!:lol::love:

For the couple of questions asked regarding how hard it was to put the hole in & if its draughty....I will ask OH about cutting the whole etc as I was in Aus at the time. I think he used a hole cutter. We had worked out the size we needed for ol Archie to fit through being the biggest bun about...the pipe tunnel has some silver electrical tape - which is great as it gives them grip to run through the tunnel.

There is a slight draught coming through into the sideboard.....but I think the buns enjoy it as on a hotter day they lie there and get a little bit of air-con! lol! I dont think the summer months will be an issue...as for winter....well it may be abit cooler....which is not an issue unless our heat all dissappears and costs us money. We are on the though process of how we can "block" it off so its not fully open and yet they still have access. Will keep you posted on any progress in that area.

I do know when OH put the tunnel in - it moved one day and so when they ran through they ended up outside and had a wonderful run about - OH was like OMG! lol! SO - anyone planning on doing similar - make sure the wall cavity is filled up surrounding the pipe so the pipe can not move and that no buns will accidentally get into the wall cavity - which would be just aweful.
And the pipe is secure that a grown man cant budge it....;)

Last edited:
That is absolutely amazing. :)

Perhaps you could incorporate a cat flap or one of your own design that has rubber edges and will keep the draught out. If you had a flap on either side of the tunnel somehow it would act a bit like double glazing and keep your heat in.

But it's still amazing.

That is absolutely amazing. :)

Perhaps you could incorporate a cat flap or one of your own design that has rubber edges and will keep the draught out. If you had a flap on either side of the tunnel somehow it would act a bit like double glazing and keep your heat in.

But it's still amazing.

very cool idea...thank you!:D
It would work well if we can attach it somehow...and also they wouldnt get stuck as the tunnel is quite long so each flap would be independant.

Many thanks for the idea!:D

Back