• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run advice

kels

New Kit
Hi everyone.

I hope the weather's treating you a bit nicer than it is up here because it's chucking it down in Glasgow!

I'm soon going to be investing in an outdoor run for my bunnies and was thinking of something along the lines of this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330576791291&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
(hope the link works)

BUT... my main concern is dig-proofing it. I don't imagine that foxes would be able to make their way in to this enclosure but how do I ensure the buns can't dig their way under and out of it? We definitely do have foxes in our area and they have been spotted in our back garden so I would really worry for their saftey if they escaped. I would also obviously be concerned about them getting lost if they made their way out of the garden. Is there some technique that I don't know about? Sorry for my ignorance :oops:

Thanks very much x x

you would be better building a more solid wood/welded mesh run, you can then put mesh on the bottom (not big mesh that buns can get their feet stuck in), and you can decide the dimensions yourself! those wire ones aren't entirely predator proof anyway, and can be quite light, a big bun could push it around the lawn!

Thanks very much. I'm a very new bunny mummy so I'm rather inexperienced with this kind of stuff. I didn't realise they were quite light so I'm very glad I asked the question before I shelled out the money :D Can anyone recommend somewhere I can buy a good sized wooden run like this that won't cost the earth?? Thanks again.

I have the exact same run but at the moment it is on slabs and secured to the hutch in a way that they can not move it. I am soon moving them into an area in the garden and my brother is going to attach the run to a wood frame to make it more sturdy and easier for me to move. We are then going to put weld mesh down where the run is being placed and turf over the top of the mesh :D

The bigger the more fun your bunsters will have. I have two P@H Rose runs joined together at the moment, but in a few weeks once oh has gone the garden I want to improve it more. Mine isn't proofed to stop the diggin out. But I haven't had any digin in the run, yet! As for Mr Fox I know they are very good diggers so a solid bottom and a heavy solid run will defo be the way to go!

Good luck:wave:

If you want to see pics of my two runs I have a thread some where.

Pics would be fabulous if you have the time and inclination :D

I have a big garden and I've already picked a spot for them but I just don't have the know-how at the moment and don't want to take any chances. We have a large wooden shed (about the size of a garage) that I would love to put them in during the day with an attached run but sadly neither me or my OH are very handy. It would involve putting a hole in the shed for a ramp because the shed is raised about 3 ft from the grassy area that I have in mind. I don't have any pics at the moment but I might take some after work tonight.

Fantastic, thanks. Do you know if more than one of these could join together? I have quite a large area that I'm planning on letting the buns have. I'd like to give them as much outside space as possible. Thanks again everyone for your help. :love:

Pics would be fabulous if you have the time and inclination :D

I have a big garden and I've already picked a spot for them but I just don't have the know-how at the moment and don't want to take any chances. We have a large wooden shed (about the size of a garage) that I would love to put them in during the day with an attached run but sadly neither me or my OH are very handy. It would involve putting a hole in the shed for a ramp because the shed is raised about 3 ft from the grassy area that I have in mind. I don't have any pics at the moment but I might take some after work tonight.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280618

Not sure if this thread would help - its an amazing setup - Im sure they would be happy to point you in the right direction with any queries you have. Laying mesh down and then turf is great if you can! You can also lay paving along the outside of the run area so its blocked in abit and makes it that little bit harder for predators...:D Your garden sounds great!

Thanks again. There actually is a bit of paving at the side of the grassy bit (leading to the steps up to the shed door) so perhaps the run could go flush with this. I would never have thought of mesh with turf over the top so thanks everyone for that brill tip. I'll try to post some pics of my garden.

Fantastic, thanks. Do you know if more than one of these could join together? I have quite a large area that I'm planning on letting the buns have.

I don't see why not. He make it in panels which you just screw together. I'm sure he'll make whatever size you want as mine was bigger than the one he lists.

i bought one of the metal type ones... we have no problems with it. they've not tried to dig out and nothing tries to get in as i've got two dogs that patrol the garden to keep it safe from cats/birds/foxes/bumblebees/flies/leaves that move in the breeze etc :lol:

Back