• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Abcesses....Indigo has gone

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
I found a HUGE abcess on Indigo's jaw last night , I so hate the horrid things :cry:

Phoned the vet at 8.30am on the dot,no appointments left .....don't think thats ever happened to me before... so we're going tomorrow morning :roll:

Also my favourite ,trusted vet isn't in (same as he wasn't when my dog was ill the other week :cry: ) so I have to see one I'm really not keen on :roll:

Last edited:
IMO could you not get in today? An emergency appointment.

I would be concerned leaving visit to vet until tomorrow.

Things can deteriorate so rapidly, but I am sure you realise that. 24 hours is a long time.

Good luck.

They're horrible. :(
I don't know how much you know about dealing with them but if you need any advice on treating them feel free to PM me.

They're horrible. :(
I don't know how much you know about dealing with them but if you need any advice on treating them feel free to PM me.

Hi,thanks for that :)

I've had several bunnies with abcesses but what I hate the most is the fact you rarely win the battle with them :cry:

You prob already know...but I thought Manuka Honey really worked well.....just what Ive read though - as Ive had no experience with abcessess.

Hope Indigo is feeling ok xxx

I've had several bunnies with abcesses but what I hate the most is the fact you rarely win the battle with them :cry:

Don't think like that. Always keep positive. I was advised to have Grimlock put to sleep but two years later he's abscess free and still going strong.

I don't agree with this (although i know that some are tooth root related etc and wayyyy more complex), i have managed to treat numerous abscesses with Injectable abx, , squeezing out pus, flushing/cleaning with dilute iodine and packing with Manuka Honey.

Hope its a small one that can be treated

I don't agree with this (although i know that some are tooth root related etc and wayyyy more complex), i have managed to treat numerous abscesses with Injectable abx, , squeezing out pus, flushing/cleaning with dilute iodine and packing with Manuka Honey.

Both of Grim's were in his tooth roots and the bone of the jaw.

Try and stay positive. I have had a bun completely recover from a jaw abscess too. It has been over two years since he had it operated on and it has not come back :) His was right in the jaw bone and I cleaned around the bone each day with an antiseptic solution until some healthy tissue began regrowing. I winced each time I had to do it because it just looked so awful but eventually it completely healed over. He was on depocillin injections every other day and a high dose of metacam.

Its huge, biggest one I've ever seen and likely to be a recurrance of mouth/tooth problems she had before Christmas when she had 5 teeth removed .

I have had some successes treating abcesses but the buns in question then went on to get another abcess elsewhere on their head/face ... I know my reaction is a bit eeyore-ish .

SS101795.jpg

SS101794.jpg

Indigo went to the vets this morning, he lanced the abcess and found that after it was cleaned out there was still a lump almost the same size underneath , the infection had spread to the bone so I had to say goodbye. :(

Back