• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is Your Rabbit Due to Have a Dental Procedure Carried Out ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
If so, please PLEASE make sure that your Vet prescribes POST OP' PAIN RELIEF

Dental pain is absolutely EXCRUCIATING and NO Rabbit should EVER have to be left without good analgesic cover AFTER the procedure

If the Vet tells you otherwise, change Vets

What would be your opinion on incisor/peg teeth burring? Do you think that would cause pain?

What would be your opinion on incisor/peg teeth burring? Do you think that would cause pain?

I personally would err on the side of caution and ask the Vet to prescribe some for a couple of days.

I know that Rabbit Dentition/innervation is different from ours, but right now the Dental pain I am experiencing is absolutely HORRIFIC, I would hate to risk a Rabbit experiencing such pain, even for just a few hours.

I am NOT advising people to mistrust a Vet they have dealt with and built up a relationship with. I am really just trying to highlight the issue of the importance of good analgesia for Rabbits for people who may not realise it and who do not have a Rabbit Savvy Vet

We're due one in about 6 weeks, Ginger is on daily metacam anyway, but i ALWAYS ask the vet if we can give a little extra as dental pain can be really bad according to them.

A phrase that my vet (before he left :cry:) coined was;

"We always underestimate pain in rabbits"

Poor bunnies who dont get pain relief :(

Mmmm, has made me think, i just take Herbie up to the Vets and off he goes for his teeth to be burred, he just takes it like a man and doesn't wriggle, and he seems to be fine afterwards. But now i am thinking that i would hate my wee man to be in pain :(

Yip, i think next time i will just get him some Metacam, at least for that day.

We're due one in about 6 weeks, Ginger is on daily metacam anyway, but i ALWAYS ask the vet if we can give a little extra as dental pain can be really bad according to them.

A phrase that my vet (before he left :cry:) coined was;

"We always underestimate pain in rabbits"

Poor bunnies who dont get pain relief :(

yes i think this is true.

I am changing vets :evil: not just because of this but other reasons too. :censored:

Hi,my little man Nobby is going in for his first ever dental with back & head xrays tomorrow:(Frances think's he is a little slobbery on his left side & he's had a messy bottom over the weekend too poor little man.not sure what to expect but i'm concerned about him coming through another anaesthetic.i know he is in the best care with Harcourt-Browns though.x

omg I didn't get any pain relief to take home for mischief after his. They gave him some at the vets though... :| He was eating more than ever before and didn't seem in pain all happy but saying that, rabbits hide pain don't they? :(

I completely agree with this, my vet always told me to give metacam for up to 5 days after a dental procedure to make sure they were not in any discomfort afterwards. It can help lengthen the time between dentals for some buns too because it encourages them to start eating more and to begin wearing their teeth straight away.

I totally agree Jane - you have my sympathy-toothache can be hell. I remember being laid on the back lawn crying with an abcess once and our dear bunny Lucky came over to snuggle me. I hope you get lots of cuddles with your bunnies to make you feel a little better.

and yes-bunnies do need pain relief after dentals.

sue:wave:

Totally agree, my bunny was in gut slowdown for a week after his dental, he got a metacam injection but it just doesnt last. They refused to give me any more. If he wasnt such a greedy bunny and willing to eat anything he didnt have to chew, I am sure he would have gone into stasis and maybe even died.

Back