• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Saving on the cost of litter

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
I have one tray in the corner of the rabbits bed and one big underbed storage box in the sitting room.

I change the one in bed about 3/4 times a week and the one in sitting room about twice (doesn't get used as much for wee's)

How can I save on the cost of litter?! It's costing a fortune!

Does anyone have any advice?

Same here. A friend works in London and gets the free newspapers each day and saves them for me. That and the freebie ones in supermarkets. Then hay in a bale, about £7 per bale. Bale lasts about a month. Mine have three trays, one big one for the lops in my room, two smaller ones in the study room for the lionheads. I change the lops one three times a week, lionheads twice a week.

I don't like the idea of paper and hay, because the vet told me to avoid putting food in their toilet because of EC.

Plus it makes a right flippin mess! Hay is in the hay cube and that's it!

I use sophisticat wood pellet litter (non clumping of course) but it's about a fiver for a bag which just about does the 2 trays, with a little to spare, but not a lot!

Where do you buy megazorb from? x

I was going to suggest Megazorb. My Dad gets mine from somewhere near Shaw. Happy to buy an extra bag & drop it off with you to save a journey, but I can find out where it is he gets it from otherwise. Its amazing stuff I love it! :oops: X

I was going to suggest Megazorb. My Dad gets mine from somewhere near Shaw. Happy to buy an extra bag & drop it off with you to save a journey, but I can find out where it is he gets it from otherwise. Its amazing stuff I love it! :oops: X

I've just ordered my new bag of megazorb from Farmway direct for £7 (i bougth some other bits too, plus carriage) - it's the best litter i've ever found.

Ahhhh...thankyou.

I use woodbased cat litter from P@H, am now going to order some megazorb.:D

Rach x

I know that people rave about Megazorb, but i hated it, it went all over the house, stuck to your socks etc!

I use the PAH wood pellet cat litter, it's ever so slightly cheaper than the Sophisticat one. It is usually on offer for 2 x 30L for £16. I clean the trays right out every second day, in between times i just clean out the used litter and top up.

I also put a layer of hay under the litter (usually the dustyish small bits that collect in the bag) as i find that i use less litter when i do that. x

i use megazorb too topped off with hay (newspaper just gets stinky for me), the P@H wood pellet litter is good too though

I don't like the idea of paper and hay, because the vet told me to avoid putting food in their toilet because of EC.

Plus it makes a right flippin mess! Hay is in the hay cube and that's it!

I use sophisticat wood pellet litter (non clumping of course) but it's about a fiver for a bag which just about does the 2 trays, with a little to spare, but not a lot!

Where do you buy megazorb from? x

Hmm, personally I stay away from hay cubes. I would rather mine have a long piece of hay with a vague possibility that they might have weed on it that I can be certain is wearing down back teeth than tiny bits of hay in a hay cube. I just refill the boxes regularly so the hay on top is always fresh. I think mine would point blank refuse a hay cube tbh!

I skip out their litter trays twice a day (if they are staying in - once if they're out all day). If it's particularly mucky it gets a full clean. Otherwise it gets cleaned twice a week.

I use wood shavings and hay. A small bale of shavings lasted a month so doesn't seem to expensive to me.

I didn't like megazorb much - I thought it smelled funny! So I went back to aubiose and a massive bag lasts a good couple of months - and only costs about £10.

Where are you Becky?xx

Hmm, personally I stay away from hay cubes. I would rather mine have a long piece of hay with a vague possibility that they might have weed on it that I can be certain is wearing down back teeth than tiny bits of hay in a hay cube. I just refill the boxes regularly so the hay on top is always fresh. I think mine would point blank refuse a hay cube tbh!

It's not like hay cookies - it's a wire cube which I stuff with normal hay, so they pull out long strands. Just like anything else like a hay rack. They actually eat it all as well - at first I wasn't sure if they could get to all off it, but they manage!

Back