• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D Maples back home and doing well!!!

carolineclair

Warren Scout
Having got a second opinion by my mums vet rather than mine maples going into surgery tomorrow to have both her toe looked at properly and either set or removed ASWELL as being spayed. I'm sick with nerves, please can you all send lots of vibesfor maple!!! She's at ny parents being loved by my parents as i can't get out of my filming days this week. I know shes in good hands and just pray it all goes well, my poor little baby bunny!!

On a seperate note as its the one thing that's keeping me away from my bunny this week id really appreciate it if you all tuned in to The Marriage Ref with Dermot O'Leary this Saturday night!!!! Make all these hours away from her worth it!!

Last edited:
Lots of vibes for pretty Maple :love: Spaying is so routine these day that i'm sure she'll be fine. Just remember to keep an eye on her afterwards to check she's eating etc. Hope the toe is ok too :)

Aww, loads of vibes for poor Maple xx what's your job??? Sounds exciting!

im a production co ordinator, I love it but it keeps me out the house far too long!! Thanks everyone, I've told my mum to keep me updated, they're going to buy some soft bedding and have a supply of all her favourite foods in stock. Any thing else i should do or think about post op?

Hi I was wondering how it was going, I'll try to find a post I did yesterday re'post op care.:wave:

What you need to ensure is that she gets given pain relief and some to come home with, she' should be given a 24hour injection and Metacam which isn't actually licensed for rabbits but works and probably will be soon, try giving it in a little bit thumbnail size of mashed banana before syringing.

She'll need lots of rest and a soft area to lie on (eg vet bed/towels) preferably with a heat pad near her but don't put her on it, you'll need to restrict her movements for at least 24-48hours minimum in the sense that she shouldn't jump around, she'll not want to anyway for about 24 hours at least, ask them to do internal sutures, that helps and I found both my girls did lick their wound a little (which is natural) but if you see them biting or nibbling then discourage gently, and you do need to check it regularly for infection, any redness/swelling, hot or seeping fluid is bad.

Avoid handling and provide a selection of all her favourite foods, flat leaf parsely and dill seem to work well, hay to eat and boiled tepid water in a bowl is essential, it's best to provide an area to toilet in maybe use newspaper or puppy training pads are absorbent with hay in a basket or rack rather than in the litter tray, you need to be careful for about 48 hours that the hay doesn't get into the wound but she must have it to eat from a bowl or basket.

Your priority is to get her drinking and eating, they should make sure she's had pain relief, and fluids really if she is going under GA. She will need a nice cosy comfy area to recover with all she needs and very gentle handling for a while - it's a major operation and you must be careful with the way you inspect the wound, ideally get on the floor and try to look under your rabbit rather than tipping her backwards for the first couple of days, actually using your hand gently to just hold it on the wound you can guage the temperature and if it's dry etc

Hope this helps, it was on another thread for a member in Romania so i've adapted it slightly hope it makes sense. Fingers crossed for Maple.:)

Last edited:
Thanks Vicki that's great information I'll forward it to my mum to take note of especially the painkillers to bring home as I wouldn't have thought of that, so nervous although I think its a good thing I'll be working so hard tomorrow or id be a terrified mess. I've told my mum I don't want to hear anything until the end of the day although I know she'll call me as soon as they get her home if everythings ok, urgh I feel genuinely sick to my stomach about it. Positive thoughts!!!!!!!

Thanks Vicki that's great information I'll forward it to my mum to take note of especially the painkillers to bring home as I wouldn't have thought of that, so nervous although I think its a good thing I'll be working so hard tomorrow or id be a terrified mess. I've told my mum I don't want to hear anything until the end of the day although I know she'll call me as soon as they get her home if everythings ok, urgh I feel genuinely sick to my stomach about it. Positive thoughts!!!!!!!

Yes she's young and healthy so should be fine, just be careful about handling her and restricting her so she can't jump although she probably won't they do sometimes come round quicker if younger. I do recommend the flat leaf parsley particularly the little plants in Asda it's a really soft herb and fed wet is a good way to get fluids into her, dill if she's not used to it might be a bit strong. The plants and packets of herbs at Asda are only 50p atm - so quite good value. You might notice her drink excessively as they are very thirsty after GA but weeing and pooing and eating are really good signs, most vets are now accepting that the 24 hour pain relief injection is NOT enough and sending them home with pain relief but not all do so yes mention that deffo.

Think positive and hopefully she'll do OK. It varies so much though in terms of recovery, my older doe didn't eat at all just drank a little so had to go back in the morning for more pain relief (as they sent her home with none and it was a Friday Op) and gut stimulant - whereas my younger doe Pixie was scoffing her herbs a couple of hours after coming home and having a good sleep.

I'm sure she'll be fine, think positive as you say.:wave:

P/s I would avoid using a 'buster collar' I didn't on any of my rabbits, it would have freaked them out and they can't access their special poo's caecatrophs although - don't be surprised if she leaves them, I think they sense the GA chemicals in them and dont' eat them.

Last edited:
Maple is fine!! She came round from the GA really quickly the op went really well, internal stitches. Had to have the whole toe removed as it was quite a high break, sooo glad I went with my instincts ( and lots of ur advice)and had her checked by a second vet. The vet said she hasn't met such a lovely friendly rabbit in a long time so im really pleased! She's gone back to my parents with soft bedding, after care food, antibiotics and pain relief! Thank god for my mum and dad, I might be 28 but sometimes you just can't do without your mum and dad!!! Thanks for your good wishes everyone!! Maple says thanks too! X

Maple is fine!! She came round from the GA really quickly the op went really well, internal stitches. Had to have the whole toe removed as it was quite a high break, sooo glad I went with my instincts ( and lots of ur advice)and had her checked by a second vet. The vet said she hasn't met such a lovely friendly rabbit in a long time so im really pleased! She's gone back to my parents with soft bedding, after care food, antibiotics and pain relief! Thank god for my mum and dad, I might be 28 but sometimes you just can't do without your mum and dad!!! Thanks for your good wishes everyone!! Maple says thanks too! X

Awww bless her, I'm so pleased for you and her, she's going to need lots of TLC for a few days, it's very good of your mum and dad to take that on, I'm sure it'll be nice and warm and quiet and comfy for her. Thats great news she's come through it.:D

Back