• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help please

My two bunnies have been together all night, I haven't slept a wink through worrying but we have had a small amount of chasing a lot of humping, lots of snuggling together! The humping and chasing seems to have stopped now. Would you suggest that I could possibly move them into their hutch at some point today?

My two bunnies have been together all night, I haven't slept a wink through worrying but we have had a small amount of chasing a lot of humping, lots of snuggling together! The humping and chasing seems to have stopped now. Would you suggest that I could possibly move them into their hutch at some point today?

No, you need to leave them where they are for at least 48 hours after the last humping/chasing episode! :wave: only when they've been settled for this long can you think about moving them or increasing space. And you should only increase the space by a tiny amount, 1 or 2 square feet. Have you neutralised the hutch if one of them has already been in it?

I am going to neutralise the hutch today the last episode was about 1am. Don't know if I can face another sleepless night :(

I am going to neutralise the hutch today the last episode was about 1am. Don't know if I can face another sleepless night :(

I did it with my two in March, each night gets better honestly!! It's well worth it in the end :wave: it's just so important to take things really slowly, or you'll spoil all your good work and have to start again! Lots of bonding vibes from me, and good luck xx

We all hope that your bunnies bond quickly and easily. Having said that.............be prepared for what could be a lengthy time needed.

Also understand that it is a stressful time for all concerned. Many of us have been there and understand how you are feeling and will feel.

Patience is a great virtue where bonding is concerned.

RU is here for you don't forget that!

Best of luck. x

I have them in an open topped run in my bedroom at the moment, I have to work tomorrow for 6 hours, do you think it will be ok to leave them for this time? They are getting on really well, they are cuddling up together and grooming each other.

I have them in an open topped run in my bedroom at the moment, I have to work tomorrow for 6 hours, do you think it will be ok to leave them for this time? They are getting on really well, they are cuddling up together and grooming each other.

It sounds like it will probably be ok, just watch them all the time until then, to make sure there's no signs of fighting. And definitely don't move them before then! :wave:

image-5.jpg

I think they have bonded, they are out in the garden today binkying, there has been no aggression and they only mounted on the first day! I think it was love at first sight :)

I think they have bonded, they are out in the garden today binkying, there has been no aggression and they only mounted on the first day! I think it was love at first sight :)

Glad it is working out well, do becareful when increasing their space, from my own experience when bonding others bunnies I have found that when space is increased very quickly or they have been moved about a lot there is a greater chance of their bond breaking down.

Last edited:
I don't think you should have let them free range in your garden already
That is a lot of space for newly bonded rabbits
When bonding it is recommended that they stay in their pen for 72 hours [3 days]
Then if no humping, chasing, nipping or scuffles occur during that time then consider moving them to their hutch or cage
And slowly increase the space
You've skipped major steps and this increases the chance of them falling out :(
Are they neutered/ spayed ?

When I bond rabbits I leave them in the same place for at least 48 hours after the last episode then will slowly increase their space into neutral territory.

Bunnies who have their space increased quickly and moved about prior to them settling are more likely to end up having their bond broken.

Lol this as well ^

Back