• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long before stitches disolve?

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
When I picked the girls up from their spays, I was told they had disolving stitches so I wouldn't need to go back (as its 80 miles each way). I just wondered how long before the stitches disolve?

I had disolving stitches myself a long time ago, but I can't remember how long they took, plus, people and rabbits probably aren't the same! :lol:

It does vary I think as does hair growth, a post op check is a week after I think and worth keeping if there is any inflammation or anything like that.

Not sure about rabbits but when I had Maisy my pup spayed some of her stitches didnt dissolve. She had a really small lump about 4 weeks later where her scar begun and it was the skin was growing over the stitch. I managed to remove the stitch very gently and it was the knot that had failed to dissolve. May be worth keeping an eye on them?

Not sure about rabbits but when I had Maisy my pup spayed some of her stitches didnt dissolve. She had a really small lump about 4 weeks later where her scar begun and it was the skin was growing over the stitch. I managed to remove the stitch very gently and it was the knot that had failed to dissolve. May be worth keeping an eye on them?

I had a lump come up on one of my doe's wound my older one Ness, it' went eventually but the vet wasn't alarmed they see it sometimes and it was like a fluid build up, I wonder if it was a reaction to the suture material or something, anyhow it went eventually just took a bit longer.

I had a lump come up on one of my doe's wound my older one Ness, it' went eventually but the vet wasn't alarmed they see it sometimes and it was like a fluid build up, I wonder if it was a reaction to the suture material or something, anyhow it went eventually just took a bit longer.

My vet wasnt worried about this either...I think it bothered me more than Maisy:oops: It just came out as I was tickling her tummy one night (well had a little pick at it as I tickled:oops::oops:) It healed straight up and she was fine but I didnt like the thought of that under her skin:roll:

It does vary I think as does hair growth, a post op check is a week after I think and worth keeping if there is any inflammation or anything like that.

They aren't having a post op check, they told me they wouldn't need it, as long as I checked the wound everyday and felt confident doing so :wave:

It's been 10 days now, and the wounds both look perfect, just wondering about the stitches. I might phone the vets tomorrow.

My dog had this too when I adopted her. The rescue centre said this sometimes happens when unexperienced vets do spays as they don't do the knot right :wave:

As it happens, it was a foreign locum that did my dog, and the rescue centre were not at all happy with his work.

Not noticed anything like this on the bunnies.

My vet wasnt worried about this either...I think it bothered me more than Maisy:oops: It just came out as I was tickling her tummy one night (well had a little pick at it as I tickled:oops::oops:) It healed straight up and she was fine but I didnt like the thought of that under her skin:roll:

Yes better to take it off. That would tie in with what Happysazzy's saying. Mine was slightly different as I couldn't feel any suture or anything.

Happysazzy - I think she may have stretched the wound if I remember, I don't think it was the vets suturing, it' was either her having too much room (my fault) or a slight reaction, quite common in dogs aswell apparently with internal sutures.:wave:

Back