• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Willow was at the vets yesterday and off for a GA tomorrow./UPDATE Post 12

MichelleGsPets

Alpha Buck
Willow was at the vets Saturday as she has a very bad ear infection in both ears. The vet was trying to clean her ears but couldn't as it was to hard to do with her awake so she sent her home with Baytril (.5 into the mouth twice a day) to break down the infection and then she has to go back tomorrow morning for a GA and to get them cleaned right.

I'm so scared, and feel so bad that I didn't notice this sooner. I only noticed it last week and couldn't get her to the vets till yesterday.

I really hope she will be ok tomorrow.

Last edited:
Oh dear, it was an infection then :cry:

Lots of vibes for her xx

Thanks for answering my thread back then Jack Jane. When I dropped her down today the vet said she was doing more reserch on it and that it could be mites. So she was going to have a chat with another vet who works there.
It was so bad :( They're was huge crusts coming out of her ear when the vet was trying to clean it out.

I felt like it was my fault but the vet said she more than likely had it before coming to me, my three boys dont have it and shes not in contact with other rabbits. I just wish I noticed it sooner.

She went down this morning, didnt hear anything since but i supose no news is good news :) Will be pikcing her up at half 5.

Anyone know how they treat ear mites?

Thanks for answering my thread back then Jack Jane. When I dropped her down today the vet said she was doing more reserch on it and that it could be mites. So she was going to have a chat with another vet who works there.
It was so bad :( They're was huge crusts coming out of her ear when the vet was trying to clean it out.

I felt like it was my fault but the vet said she more than likely had it before coming to me, my three boys dont have it and shes not in contact with other rabbits. I just wish I noticed it sooner.

She went down this morning, didnt hear anything since but i supose no news is good news :) Will be pikcing her up at half 5.

Anyone know how they treat ear mites?

She will probably require treatment for both the mites and secondary bacterial infection. It will depend on whether or not the eardrums have perforated as to whether a topical ear treatment is given or if medication has to be given systemically. Certainly PAIN RELIEF will be absolutely ESSENTIAL, to be administered daily for several days as if the Vet does remove the crusting it will be VERY painful.

She will probably require treatment for both the mites and secondary bacterial infection. It will depend on whether or not the eardrums have perforated as to whether a topical ear treatment is given or if medication has to be given systemically. Certainly PAIN RELIEF will be absolutely ESSENTIAL, to be administered daily for several days as if the Vet does remove the crusting it will be VERY painful.

Yes they gave her pain relief and shes on baytril to stop any infection. Shes on this since saturday. She also got an injection on ivermectin for the mites yesterday and needs two more, two weeks apart.
Her ears are so red and sore looking.

Shes in a good mood though and eatting all around her. The GA didn't put her off her appetitie one bit.
Does anyone know if any of the injections would be given in the outside of her ear? As she has a little lump on it, so just wondering.

So she now has very dry ears, on the opening to her ears and inside it, its flaking off and I can see some of the hard gunk apearing inside the canal again.
Its Friday, She had a full ear clean on Monday, how are they dirty again?

I don't know anything about this condition, but just wanted to say that I hope she improves.

Sending some recovery vibes.

Back