• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possible second rabbit allowed. FFiL kinda said yes. Help?

emjrabbitwolf

Warren Scout
Think the Future Father in Law might just have finally agreed to me finding Benjamin a bunnywife. He's concerned about space and the cat, Evie.

Benjamin livesin a 2 storey hutch that is about 3" long by 2 wide and 4 tall. He's never confined to it, unless I'm cleaning the floor. The hutch is at the back of the kitchen which is about 3-ft wide and about 12-15 long, which Ben has full range of every day. Its bunnyproof and kept safe and tidy. There's a modified baby gate blocking the kitchen from the rest of the house.
When its possible which is several hours each day, Ben is allowed to free range around the downstairs rooms and half way up the stairs.
There's food and water available at all times, with hay, pellets and vegetables, sometimes fresh herbs and grass/weeds from our untreated garden.

Evie is a fairly young cat of about 7 months old. She likes Ben and can be found venturing into the kitchen of her own accord to visit Ben in his hutch, get fussed over when we're in the kitchen with Ben/making food, or to steal his toys and water. When Ben free roams, Evie will play games of tag and hiding. No aggression on either side. No proper grooming yet, though Ben tries Evie runs away. Benjamin doesn;t really chase Evie out of his hutch either instead sharing hay with her.

If I can get a solid positive answer from the FFiL I'll be looking for a nice medium sized, year or so old bunnywife for Ben. If they choose to bond together she can come home, else we'll go on some blind dates and see if any stick.
Anyone know of any nice girl bunnies that fit the bill that are in Scotland or could be brought up for attempts at bonding? If the bond failied the doe would sadly have to be returned for homing as not enough space for two rabbits seperately... (sadly not a fan of Rex fur types. Sorry!) It so I can show the options to FFiL to see if helps sway his mind fully.

Last edited:
Are all the Scottish rescues listed on the Rehoming page?
Just so I can try contacting folk over the next few weeks about a possible bunnywife.

Hiya,
The list of rescues on Rabbit Rehome is quite out of date now, half of the Scottish ones have closed down and there are some that are not listed. I think it is going to be updated soon though. If you just search for rabbits in Scotland it will show you some of the available rabbits although some rescues don't have time to list them all.

As far as I know these are the rescues in Scotland that are currently rehoming rabbits and do bonding:

Collielover on here (I don't know her rescues name :oops: )

Fife Rabbit Rescue: www.fiferabbitrescue.co.uk

Fairly Beloved Rabbit Care: www.fairlybelovedrabbitcare.org

Hutches Rescue: www.hop2hutchesrescue.org.uk

Paws Here: www.pawshereedinburgh.co.uk

There is also the SSPCA centres but they don't do bonding and you can't return the rabbit if they don't get on.

Spoken the Collielover, but think she's currently moving house so might be without net access. But she has two possible does. Waiting to see photos and more info to show OH and FFiL.

Thank you for the list of other rescues I'll look at what they have available too. We can travel pretty much anywhere in scotland, and I admit some rabbits I've liked have been much further afield, but know can be difficult. Especially if there's a bunnyrun or something done, then the bond fails.

:wave::wave::wave
Hi my rescue is called SomeBunny2loveme
Yes I am in the middle of moving so hench I am not on here much if you do a search with my name you will find Gypsy we also have grace but sorry I have packed my camera and cable away so wont be taken pictures of her until after the move.

:wave::wave::wave
Hi my rescue is called SomeBunny2loveme
Yes I am in the middle of moving so hench I am not on here much if you do a search with my name you will find Gypsy we also have grace but sorry I have packed my camera and cable away so wont be taken pictures of her until after the move.

I'm happy to wait till after you're moved and settled. The FFiL is still slightly humming and hawing over this. He's worried about getting another rabbit and then them falling out. Explained about bonding and that some rescues will accept a rabbit back and try with a different one till a compatible match is found.
Happy to wait as long as it takes to find a bunnywife that Ben, mysefl, OH and FFiL like!

I wouod really love a black and tan, as they are my favourite colouring. Been trying to get in touh with the Scottish Tan club to see if there are any miscoloured does that need rehomed rather than culled!

Very few seem to come into rescues, though I can understand, not as popular any more it seems.

There's a tan belgium hare for rehoming here
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291160
Not sure if she's still available, plus she's very far away to travel if the bonding doesn't work.
Seem to be lots of black and tan hares for sale now adays but all further south, and can only find 2 british based Tan breeders online.
Rehoming a pedigree bun can be a good thing, especially if it saves a retired doe's life or prevents a badly coloured one being culled...

I'm gonna keep looking and see what comes up. We don't want a very young or small rabbit as Evie might play too rough with it causing injury. As nice as lops are I'd be really worried about keeping their ears clean and safe, especially as Evie seems to love ben's ears!

Back