• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baby bunnies

alangn2000

New Kit
Sorry if im posting on wrong forum.

My bunny just had babies this morning! and im not sure how many there is as they are under the fur she ripped off.
When should i look to make sure all is ok, and that they ae being fed. and obviously they are still alive....

Also i brought my bunny indoors to have her babies, They are in a good sized indoor cage.... when should i think about putting them back outside?

Thanks in advance

if she had them thi morning i advise you don't touch them until tomoz, some popel say don't touch them atall but I beliieve it the mum is away occupied with food and cannot see you doin it, then its okay!

make sure you smother your hands with hay and bedding, to de scent your hands a gently uncover the nest, check they have nice rounded tums they should look like they have swollowed ping pong balls, but I didnt notice this on Matildas 1 baby intill 4 or 5 days, as it takes that long for mums milk to come down!

also check for any aleady dead babies and remove them!

apart from that theirs not much to be done! feed mum ALOT more food, almost constant pellets for a few days etc

Personally I would leave the nest alone for a couple of days then I would wear plastic glove like the disposable ones you can buy in supermarkets stroke mum bunny wearing glove, put gloved hand in some of her litter/droppings then carefully just using a gloved finger poke though the nest to check all are alive, then cover back up. In the wild mum would feed once a day and leave the nest so that she doesn't draw attention to it.

Give mum extra food, what she normally eats and make sure she has plenty of hay to nibble on.

I wouldn't put them outside now until the babies have their eyes open and are coming out of the nest. If all babies are alive and in the nest the best thing to do is leave them alone. Once babies are up and about mum would appreciate some alone time and perhaps have a run around for an hour.

Keep us posted.

Hi and thanks....

My friends friend who breeds rabitts called round, and he checked..
he lifted mum, and rubbed his hands all over her, opened the nest up... he counted 6, but said thy could be some underneath. all alive! he covered nest up, and we put mum back in, she instantly went to nest... all ok, and then lay down!!

He said he checks the nest within 12hrs of birth, and has never had a mum reject the kits.

Il check in the mornin..

Hi and thanks....

My friends friend who breeds rabitts called round, and he checked..
he lifted mum, and rubbed his hands all over her, opened the nest up... he counted 6, but said thy could be some underneath. all alive! he covered nest up, and we put mum back in, she instantly went to nest... all ok, and then lay down!!

He said he checks the nest within 12hrs of birth, and has never had a mum reject the kits.

Il check in the mornin..

6 wow!! you are gona have you hands full!! have you got enough room for them all??

My Matilda only had one and I can barely keep up with her aha!

6 wow!! you are gona have you hands full!! have you got enough room for them all??

My Matilda only had one and I can barely keep up with her aha!

I have 4 hutches (2-my friend just gave me in a swap for a dog grill for car) and 2 indoor cages.

I hutch has a run i connected to it.... daddy is in it, but daddy will have a shock one week before i put the babies and mum outside, as they will get the hutch with run, til i seperate babies from mummy.

Hopefully more girls than boys, or i have problems...... lol

anyhow, i normally let the 2 rabitts out of their cages for a run eeach day... daddy is very curious, whereas mummy doesnt like moving to far from the hutch!

Back