• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pig help please :)

Jodes

Mama Doe
Where I work is a guinea pig and I'm nit entirely sure what else he is allowed to eat.so far I feed him orange,apple,red pepper,cucumber and greens.anything else ladies? Help is muchly appreciated

Am assuming he has hay 24/7 of course but otherwise I feed ours pretty much the same veggies-wise as the rabbits. :)

Orange isn't always that great because it's so acidic - I don't feed it at all. Apple, like carrot, is a treat food because it's so sugary.

Green pepper is better than red pepper as it's less sugary (my piggies prefer green to red anyway lol).

Lettuce is fine but **not** Iceberg lettuce - I feed Romaine and Round lettuce pretty regularly. Herbs are great too - coriander, mint, lemon balm and flat-leaved parsley are staples I use for my two all the time. I feed cury kale a fair bit too but not in massive quantities because it's high in calcium. I also feed broccoli and spring greens but mine definitely prefer broccoli. Cucumber and celery (celery needs to be cut up) are also fine. Hope this helps a little! :wave: x

Thank you very much :) so pretty much doing ok then :) he doesn't have hay :/ but I'll try and get round that with the service user...it's his animal but I try and help....just wasn't sure what else- I know vit c is important though

Wot Hanlou said! :lol:

Also, I don't see mention of Guinea pig food - does GP have some museli or pellets?

Sorry for the hijack but......
While we are on GP's can anyone suggest something fattening for my GP who I have been advised is in Renal Failure and is losing weight (rapidly at present although was holding it in the warmer spell) she has a good appetite and lives with her "fatty" sister! She isn't keen on Critical Care although her sister eats it :roll: They have all the veg, herbs, hay, readigrass, homegrown wheat grass, apple tree leaves, grass and Excell Blackcurrant and Oregano pellets.

Yea he has muesli :) just wanted to be careful with fruit and veg and what they arnt allowed....
Fattening a guinea pig? I can't help there I'm afraid....sorry...hope guinea pig is ok though?

:wave: ours have...spinach,broccoli,cauliflower,romaine lettuce,kale,greens,cabbage,red pepper,carrot,banana ,apple(tiny amount once a month as it has been known to burn their mouths),parsley, coriander,melon and cucumber
plus their absolute fav....GRASS:lol:
ours have science selective piggie mix as they cant pick bits out ;)

definitely hay and my two have anything that's a leafy green really.

savoy cabbage
spring greens
curly kale
parsley
coriander
basil
thyme
lettuces - romaine, little gem, trio leaf
watercress, rocket, spinach, red chard mix

there's other veggies but i can't remember them at the minute. :roll:

then grass, dandelion, apple sticks etc.
and dried herbs, flavoured pellets and mixes from pampered piggies
and oxbow cavy cuisine but only a small amount at night

pampered piggies do some hay and other things crushed into pellet form. i know it won't help with the chewing motion but might be a way to give hay based foods? :wave:

Grass and more grass. My guineapigs end up like little round barrels on legs by the end of the summer becasue we have them out on the grass most days. Guinea pigs just love that grass :lol:

Dusty rabbit - about your skinny guinea-pig - I've had this happen several times and however much the pig eats they slowly get thinner and thinner :( I guess it is not a bad way to die as they are running around munching til the end - they get incredibly thin and it takes a surprisingly long time between noticing it and their death (up to a year) so enjoy your piggie and spoil him as much as you can.

Thanks Bunnylover177. Jade has been "poorly" for some months now, she's been to the vets, had urine tests and we know there isn't anything we can do for her really. She's about 6 years old. It's good to see her still very lively, perhaps even more than she used to be as she is now so much lighter and agile! We are just trying to keep her going really but I don't really think she'll be with us another winter sadly - her "sister" won't know what to do without her I am sure. Can I ask if your piggies passed at home or if you had to make that final decision for them please?

Back