• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not Eating Special Poops

Adorabunny

Warren Scout
For several weeks now one of my buns hasn't been eating her special poops, I just wondered why this might be and what I can do to make it better?

There can be several reasons for them not eating their caecotrophs. Has anything in her diet changed recently? Is she having mobility issues? Is she overweight? Have you had her teeth checked recently?

No nothing in her diet has changed, she is kinda podgy and she's not the most active of bunnies either. Her teeth were fine at her last vet visit.

No nothing in her diet has changed, she is kinda podgy and she's not the most active of bunnies either. Her teeth were fine at her last vet visit.

When was the last vet visit? Did the vet check inside her mouth with an otoscope? It could be that she is overweight and can't reach her back end.

What is she currently being fed and how much? Does she eat much hay?

Sorry for all the questions, it;s just useful to know this stuff when trying to work out what's going on :oops:

I don't mind questions, wanna get it sorted for her. Her last vet visit was about 3 months ago and yes they used an otoscope (she stamped so loud afterwards!).

She loves her food but I have cut her portions down a bit recently but it hasn't had any effect. She eats lots of hay all day long, I give her and her husbun 1 tablespoon of pellets every morning (which they share) then they each get about 1inch of carrot and a handful of basil and parsley. Then at tea time they share 1 tablespoon of pellets and each get 1/2 cabbage leaf and handful of parsley and basil. Does that sound too much? Or the wrong foods?

I don't mind questions, wanna get it sorted for her. Her last vet visit was about 3 months ago and yes they used an otoscope (she stamped so loud afterwards!).

She loves her food but I have cut her portions down a bit recently but it hasn't had any effect. She eats lots of hay all day long, I give her and her husbun 1 tablespoon of pellets every morning (which they share) then they each get about 1inch of carrot and a handful of basil and parsley. Then at tea time they share 1 tablespoon of pellets and each get 1/2 cabbage leaf and handful of parsley and basil. Does that sound too much? Or the wrong foods?

That all sounds perfect. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Does she have exercise i.e. how big is her pen, does she get free range time etc?

What brand of pellets are you feeding?

They free range from 8am - 10pm but she tends to sleep most of this time :roll: She's most active at night when she is in their area (approx 2x3m). So I guess she is quite sedentary.

I give them pets at home adult nuggets.

They free range from 8am - 10pm but she tends to sleep most of this time :roll: She's most active at night when she is in their area (approx 2x3m). So I guess she is quite sedentary.

I give them pets at home adult nuggets.

Maybe it's the nuggets. Have you tried Science selective or Allen and page? They are good for buns with excess caecals.

Ooh really? Where's the best place to get these? Is there a good brand of hay too coz they have the Timothy hay from PAH, it doesn't always look or smell tasty

Ooh really? Where's the best place to get these? Is there a good brand of hay too coz they have the Timothy hay from PAH, it doesn't always look or smell tasty

Try googling it for the cheapest price. I feed Science Selective mature as I have had buns in the past with similar issues to your girl. My current buns have no tummy issues but I have decided to still with the same food as I like it.

As for hay I buy mine in bales from a farm because it's nice and fresh and happens to be much cheaper than pet shop hay which is a bonus. Mine can't get enough of it.

OK will do, thank you so much for your help. I don't have the space for a hay bale :lol:

Will the Science Selective help with weight loss?? How much do you feed yours?

OK will do, thank you so much for your help. I don't have the space for a hay bale :lol:

Oh well, some places bag up farm hay so it may be worth tracking some down. Maybe start a thread asking for good hay recommendations in your area?

Will the Science Selective help with weight loss?? How much do you feed yours?

The mature is lower in calories so hopefully yes if you don't feed more than you are currently feeding.

1 of mine matilda wasn't eating hers i megga upped her hay intake and lowerd her veg intake and it stopped :)

I think brassicas like cabbage can cause disbyosis (sticky bum). can you cut them out for a while and see what happens?

Back