• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Pet Rescue/Rehoming

stacey23

Young Bun
Hi everyone, We are a newly started rescue for people who can nolonger care for thier pets, for what ever reason. We have many years of experience with small common furries to large scaley reptiles.
Most of our pets (babies lol) have come to us after being mistreated, such as rosey the 4ft Iguana, Missy the deaf cat, Rammstien our cat who was born stray and many more...
We have come to a point when we realised we nolonger have the room for more forever pets but instead want to help rehome other. We cant resist an animal in need and it was getting to the point of having to turn animals away. But since we have decided to run a rescue from home.
We ask for a small donation to keep the rescue going, a min of £5 per rabbit/guinea pig for small furries and depending on the type of reptile, we adjust accordingly.
We ensure the animals go to good homes and ask to see set up before leting any animal leave our care. If anyone would like our help or would like to give a animal a forever home, get in touch. Thank you x
http://rabbitplace.webs.com/index.htm

Hiya :wave:

Aww cute bunnies you have in :D and some very interesting other animals too!!

Do you neuter and vaccinate the buns before they are rehomed?

Hey, thank you :D due to the low rehoming fee's we charge we are unable to cover the cost of neutering and vacs but make it clear to the prospective new owner that they will need to have the rabbits vaccinated. We ensure they go to good homes and be returned if they are nolonger able to provide them with the home they deserve. x

Hi Stacey,
Smokey is doing fine.
Going to start bonding with our female Mabel soon
Will let you know how it goes.:wave::wave:

If I was you, I would vaccinate and neuter and have your adoption fee set at around the £45 mark. That is what most rescues on here do.

Then you can guarantee they can not be bred from, they won't be hormonal and so will be able to be bonded straight to their new friend, and you won't have an outbreak of myxi/VHD spread amongst the animals where they are vaccinated :wave:

We would have had the Lionhead girl had she been spayed and vaccinated as I have a boy that we could have bonded her with.

If I was you, I would vaccinate and neuter and have your adoption fee set at around the £45 mark. That is what most rescues on here do.

Then you can guarantee they can not be bred from, they won't be hormonal and so will be able to be bonded straight to their new friend, and you won't have an outbreak of myxi/VHD spread amongst the animals where they are vaccinated :wave:

Don't forget also with you guys neutering it also ensures that no buns that have come from you can add to the unwanted rabbit situation by being bred from :wave:

We would have had the Lionhead girl had she been spayed and vaccinated as I have a boy that we could have bonded her with.

She has gone to a lovely new home. We do however have a small neutered female looking for a lovely new home. we havent had time to take a picture of her yet as we hae been so busy sorting out the bunnies home. x

We are interested in finding them good homes, £45 for a rabbit sounds very steap to us and would rather keep the costs of the rabbits to a reasonable level.
We do not encourage breeding of the rescue rabbits as we can not ensure they will be homed with responsible owners but are not against breeding rabbits, as long as the breeder is responsible and willing to take the rabbits back in if anything should go wrong and the buyer can nolonger give it the home it deserves. We are often unsure of the rabbits back ground, such as genetic health issues etc so breeding from rescue bunnies is not something we agree with. In our contract we do ask that they are not bred from, although we realise this can not be enforced we are prepared to have the rabbit returned should anything go wrong x

Last edited:
We are interested in finding them good homes, £45 for a rabbit sounds very steap to us and would rather keep the costs of the rabbits to a reasonable level.
We do not encourage breeding of the rescue rabbits as we can not ensure they will be homed with responsible owners but are not against breeding rabbits, as long as the breeder is responsible and willing to take the rabbits back in if anything should go wrong and the buyer can nolonger give it the home it deserves.

£45 really isn't steep for a rabbit that is neutered and vaccinated. Pet shops charge almost that for a rabbits with nothing done.

£45 really isn't steep for a rabbit that is neutered and vaccinated. Pet shops charge almost that for a rabbits with nothing done.

Maybe in other locations but they can be picked up in pet shops around here from £20. We are happy to take the rabbits to be neutered and vaccinated if the new owner is willing to cover the cost, but would struggle to find them new homes otherwise. x

We do not encourage breeding of the rescue rabbits as we can not ensure they will be homed with responsible owners but are not against breeding rabbits, as long as the breeder is responsible and willing to take the rabbits back in if anything should go wrong and the buyer can nolonger give it the home it deserves. We are often unsure of the rabbits back ground, such as genetic health issues etc so breeding from rescue bunnies is not something we agree with. In our contract we do ask that they are not bred from, although we realise this can not be enforced we are prepared to have the rabbit returned should anything go wrong x

£45 for a rabbit is an absolute bargain when you think of the amount it costs to spay and neuter them plus vaccs. Most rescues set up some kind of discount arrangement with their vets. I would strongly suggest that you at least neuter otherwise people can easily breed and you could in a roundabout way be adding to your own numbers. Having it written into a contract doesnt mean anything and doesnt stop accidents happening if two buns accidentally meet whereas if they are both done that wouldnt be a problem

I had no issues giving Rabbit Residence £40 each for my two, I knew that money was going back to a very good cause and pay a ton of vets bills. Rabbits are cheap in pet shops around here too.

£45 for a rabbit is an absolute bargain when you think of the amount it costs to spay and neuter them plus vaccs. Most rescues set up some kind of discount arrangement with their vets. I would strongly suggest that you at least neuter otherwise people can easily breed and you could in a roundabout way be adding to your own numbers. Having it written into a contract doesnt mean anything and doesnt stop accidents happening if two buns accidentally meet whereas if they are both done that wouldnt be a problem

I agree. Most rescues who use this forum say that rabbits should live in bonded pairs due to them being social animals. This is just not possible if they are unneutered as they will either fall pregnant or fight.

What do you ask as your adoption fee if you don't mind me asking?

I had no issues giving Rabbit Residence £40 each for my two, I knew that money was going back to a very good cause and pay a ton of vets bills. Rabbits are cheap in pet shops around here too.

Ah but people in Hetfordshire are rich ;). Did I mention it has 2 towns in the top 10 for the amount of personal debt people have?

People just aren't willing to pay £40 for adult rabbits. People are giving them away free in most cases. people who care about the rabbits to the degree where they are willing to pay £40 per bunny are very nlikely to be the type to breed, accidently or otherwise and would most likely pay to have them neutered if they arent already.
if people are looking to breed chances are they will breed regardless. We are just helping people to find new homes for thier pets. As i said, we look for responsible owners and if we suspect they are breeders, will not give them the rabbit. Instead advise them to think about it and do thier research before consider breeding, also breed rabbits only if they know its genetic histories and are prepared to rehome the babies if the new owners can nolonger keep them.
We charge a min of £5 donation per rabbit and prefer them to go in pairs, if we have females or have suitable neutered pairs available. x

People just aren't willing to pay £40 for adult rabbits. People are giving them away free in most cases. people who care about the rabbits to the degree where they are willing to pay £40 per bunny are very nlikely to be the type to breed, accidently or otherwise and would most likely pay to have them neutered if they arent already.
if people are looking to breed chances are they will breed regardless. We are just helping people to find new homes for thier pets. As i said, we look for responsible owners and if we suspect they are breeders, will not give them the rabbit. Instead advise them to think about it and do thier research before consider breeding, also breed rabbits only if they know its genetic histories and are prepared to rehome the babies if the new owners can nolonger keep them.
We charge a min of £5 donation per rabbit and prefer them to go in pairs, if we have females or have suitable neutered pairs available. x

I can see that you are just trying to help but rabbits really do need to be homed as neutered pairs. Homing a pair of entire females together isn't a good idea either as they can fight too, even littermates.

Not sure what to suggest though as it sounds like you are in a bit of a catch 22 situation.

The two rescues here charge £25. The other one charges £15 but doesnt neuter or vaccinate:( P@H charge a £10 minimum donation but dont vaccinate or neuter either. I am going to be looking further affield at other rescues once Poppy is speyed and ready to find a friend.

I have felt a bit put off by the responses/advice of local rescues and would rather pay more and travel further for a suitable friend for her from a good rescue, with good policies and good advice:D Its only my opinion though:oops:

The two rescues here charge £25. The other one charges £15 but doesnt neuter or vaccinate:( P@H charge a £10 minimum donation but dont vaccinate or neuter either. I am going to be looking further affield at other rescues once Poppy is speyed and ready to find a friend.

I have felt a bit put off by the responses/advice of local rescues and would rather pay more and travel further for a suitable friend for her from a good rescue, with good policies and good advice:D Its only my opinion though:oops:

Maybe you could start a thread asking for a good local(ish) rescue or even try Honeybunnies as they rehome all over the country.

Back