• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 males fighting

zarapop

New Kit
hi.
i have 2 male rabbits we got them at 12 weeks old, they were snuggled together grooming and settled when we bought them and have been that way till we got them altered,because there was some mounting and fur pulling, we had put this down to sexual frustration and dominance on one rabbits part.
3 weeks after this op,the bullying had stopped completely. but then 2 fights broke out on the same day. one that i missed and when i found them they were back to snuggling and grooming again, so i left them thinking it was fine, 3 hours later they went hell for leather again and have been in seperate enclosures since, this was just over a week ago. they seem really sad being seperated, lonely almost.
ive just ordered a big chicken coop syle rabbit palace!that will be here in a couple of weeks. i have had them together in my lounge on neutral territory for social time twice so far. in the hope they will be able to live together again. so far there has been lots of circling, sniffing, grooming, skipping about, i feel its going well. but im worried they will fight again if they are housed together. i was hoping that a larger living space may help them be happy together.
are there any tips you can give me to help the process? do you think im wasting my time or that there seems like there is some potential? im new to bunnies. these 2 are my first, the sites ive read up on, dont seem to answer exactly the question for my rabbits circumstances. please help!!! xx

It can take up to 6 weeks for the hormones to settle post castration, so this could be the reason. Having 2 rabbits of the same sex is not the best idea, since even after neutering they can still fight, 2 females can be just as bad.
Even 2 that appear best of friends one minute can have a horrendous fight the next. The best pairing and is a neutered male and a neutered female.

Of course, one the hormones have completely gone then they could live together perfectly, there is just no way of telling until you try I am afraid, but for now I would keep them separate and maybe ask an experienced bonder to try for you.

Last edited:
3 weeks for young hormonal males often will not allow the hormones to settle, young male buns can be tricky to bond therefore I would give it another 3 or 4 weeks and allow their hormones to settle. I would then rebond them ensuring that you apply all the rules to the letter which will give you a greater chance of this working. This post gives you information of preparation and getting started with bonding http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=262676&highlight=hour

If this does not work you will need to consider where you go from there, if you have space and can afford it you may want to consider getting 2 large set ups for them where they can live with apart with a girl friend of their own.

Back