• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

not maples day... were at the vets u/d its a fractured back toe :-(

carolineclair

Warren Scout
Picked her up to move her to the kitchen and noticed one her back toes is totally lose. Not attached by bone it seems to the foot, can't be sure if its toe, nail, broken, fractured no idea. Didn't have time to get advice on here as the vets shut at 1. Just managed to get an apt. Hope I've done the right thing. She look terrified in her basket!!

FYI she wasn't limping around but was constantly playing/ cleaning at that toe so I was worried shed make it worse whatever it is. :-:)-:)-(

Last edited:
She's managed somehow probably through my incompetence to fracture her back toe. Ben the vet thinks shes probably done it trying to climb up and out of the pen in my kitchen. I'm gutted I just keep letting her down. I'm trying so hard to make sure shes getting everything she needs in terms of time and space and love but I keep messing up. He's told me to keep her congoned to a smaller area for 7-10 days to try and help it heal. I have my ferplast cage but I feel so bad keeping her in it. I want to aid her recovery though so I'll do what he's suggested. He also said that shes ready to get spayed, just one more thing for me to worry about and probably get wrong. I hate feeling sorry for myself especially when its maple that's paying for it. :-(

Cage rest is really hard but so necessary for healing!!

And don't blame yourself, you have done nothing wrong!!
Vibes for a quick healing

Thank you, I am blaming myself though, no one else to blame. Has anyone else had a broken rabbit toe, what did u do and did it heal ok? X

Please don't blame yourself - you didn't snap it with your own hands nor did you intentionally leave something out for her to catch it in. :) Bunnies are geniuses for getting themselves into pickles, much like children!

I think Apache has had a broken toe in the past as one of his sticks out at a funny angle, it doesn't bother him at all though.

My first rabbit Poppy, when I got her, had a horribly deformed and twisted back leg - I took her to the vet and they said it had obviously been broken badly in the past, not noticed, and set crooked. Still it didn't cause her any pain and she was super fast and agile. She did get some pressure sores on it because she was basically walking on the wrong part or her foot cos it was twisted round.

But Maple won't get that because you've noticed and got her treatment right away, and it's only one toe, not a whole leg :) She will be fine.

Give her a noserub from me, I have a big soft spot for Maple cos she's sooooooo pretty :love:

Thank you, shes very grumpy with me :-( Vet didn't give any pain relief or set the toe just said to let it heal but that it may not heal dead straight etc, im sure this is normal advice and makes sense but she seems so down I don't know if I should have pushed for more, have I done ok? I'm off to the supermarket to get some fresh treats in...better get looking at the previous threads to find some new inspiration, try something new! Hope it cheers her up and maybe a bottle of wine for mummy to cheer me up! Lol :)

Awww didn't see this, maybe that's right then, have a look at these in Pets At Home they are a bit better than the cages and safer plus they can be extended out by adding two or more together. I'm surprised they didn't give any pain relief tbh it must hurt. As long as she keeps eating and drinking etc after her dodgy tummy the other day.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-pet-play-pen-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs-by-pets-at-home-24353

Maybe do a new thread titled - do toe fractures need pain relief/treatment'
you might get more replies from people who've dealt with it, I suppose if you trust the vet though I'd imagine he'd want to help her as best he can and has probably got experience of it, there is a member who is a trainee vet -Vikkivet I'm sure she wouldn't mind you Pm'ing her for some advice on whether you need a second opinion.:wave:

shes eating and drinking totally normally I can just tell shes limping a little. Too late to get anything else for her tonight I hate it but so long as shes still being loving, eating and drinking she can't be in too much pain I hope. My dream situation is that they can spay and wrap or remove toe all in one go preferably tomorrow!! How likely is that? Prob not very

shes eating and drinking totally normally I can just tell shes limping a little. Too late to get anything else for her tonight I hate it but so long as shes still being loving, eating and drinking she can't be in too much pain I hope. My dream situation is that they can spay and wrap or remove toe all in one go preferably tomorrow!! How likely is that? Prob not very

I'd imagine they'd not want to amputate if there's a chance of it mending, I'd probably be a bit reluctant to do that myself, the pain of the spay and the toe combined might be a bit much tbh, I'd concentrate on the toe repair and then look at the spay when she's recovered, one step at a time I think is best plus it means you can get her tummy tip top again before the major op of the spay.:) Edited to say I see your logic though, thinking if she needs to be confined and restricted get it all done in one go and under one GA - worth asking the vet I think - bit out of my confidence level to advise tbh - hope it works out though - I'll check tomoz and see how you get on best of luck :wave:

How loose is the toe?

My Herbie has a broken back toe, he has totally wrecked the ligaments there. I noticed it when i was clipping his nails, i can basically bend his toe right back, but as it is an 'inbetween' toe then it doesn't drop down.

Herbie's foot was x-rayed at the Vet Hospital in edinburgh and i was told that it is pretty invasive surgery to try to fix. We decided that we would leave the toe as is and deal with it if it became a problem in the future. That was about a year ago now, he has no trouble with the toe and it does not drag or anything.

Initially my Vets had told me to cage rest him, and they had also put a massive bandage on his foot, but he couldn't get around with it so i took it off. Then after i had the x-ray i was told that he had done the damage and it wouldn't fix, so there was no point in cage resting him.

Vibes for the vets tomorrow.

When I first noticed I was moving it very loosley now im too aware there's something wrong to even try and move it. She's definitely having trouble moving around with it though so they're going to have to do something... Fingers crossed for a positive outcome and a painfree foot!

Back