• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My 10 year old REX bunny with MXYMATOSIS

My bunny Peter has very swollen weeping eyes,
he can barly see out of them also swollen genitals
i took him to the vets yesterday and they said he might have mxymatosis,
they sad i might have to have him put down but i dont want him to go,
he is a 10 year old rex who has the run of the garden, i dont know how he has got this.
i am bathing his eyes everyday and the vet gave us lagomorph 0.8ml septrin so im giving him it twice daily but we are going on holiday in 2 days so i dont know what to do!

i am wondering if theres any type of drops we can give him to fight this horrendous virrus!

i need all the help i can get!!

Last edited:
Well done.You did it.:wave:

Is he vaccinated?? It may help his chances.
Has he pain relief?? He needs it badly and eye cream and Im not sure what other stuff.He will need alot of nursing.Who is going to care for him while youre away??
Please, take him back to the vets.Maybe they can help him some more.

He's not vaccinated, my next door neighbours are feeding him while we are away, the trouble is, the vet seem that they dont want to help him, they just obviously want to save money my putting him down but he is such a precious rabbit. Our neighbours have never held a rabbit before so we are worried if they drop him whilst cleaning his eyes and gving him his medicine :(!

If you're rabbit is unvaccinated, and does have myxi, I'm sorry to say there's only the tiniest chance of survival :( Personally I wouldn't go on holiday if this happened to my rabbit, it's my duty to care for them but if you have to option then you should try arrange something with the vets

firstly, are your vets rabbit savvy? if not, tell us where about you are and someone will beable to recommend a vets.

i don't know much about it myself but some people on here have nursed bunnies through myxi but it takes time and alot of nursing. if it was me then personally i would cancel my holiday and nurse my bunny. i don't see how he will make it through this otherwise. he needs the best possible chance.

i agree about the pain relief meds aswell. i think he needs to go back to the vets.

has he been vaccinated? if so, he might make it through but if not, i don't think the outcome is very good :(

i hope others see this who have some experience.

lots of luck x

He's not vaccinated, my next door neighbours are feeding him while we are away, the trouble is, the vet seem that they dont want to help him, they just obviously want to save money my putting him down but he is such a precious rabbit. Our neighbours have never held a rabbit before so we are worried if they drop him whilst cleaning his eyes and gving him his medicine :(!

I'm sure they do want to help, but as I've said the survival rate is tiny, they're probably just preparing you. As someone who has had rabbits for 7 years, I struggle with some giving them medication, as do other very savvy people on this forum, I would not trust your neighbours to do it if they have no experience :( Sorry to tell you this

Sadly if it's myxo and he's not vaccinated the kindest thing may be to put him to sleep so he doesn't suffer. :(

How do rabbits catch it, because we have no oher rabbits ?

They can get it through flies picking it up on wild rabbits and bringing it into your garden.

I have never known an unvaccinated rabbit survive Myxi.

Is there any way you could ask your vets to admit him for the 2 days you are away so he can have some intensive treatment? Obviously you would have to pay but I cant see them saying no.

Like I said,had he been vacced, he may have had a chance.
He still may have the teeniest of chances but expense and nursing.
I would be upset but if he was mine,I would let him go.Poor bun.:cry:

please don't leave him whilst he is like this, and with people who are inexperienced. :cry:

he needs you. i'm sorry but i agree with others that the vets advice of pts is the right one to save any pain and suffering. :(

I am so very sorry but I agree that the kindest thing is probably to have him PTS :cry: As he is not vaccinated his chances of survival are slim to none, and Myxi is a hurrendous and extremely painfuldisease for the bun in question .
I am very sorry as he is obviously very loved and is a wonderful age :cry:

I am very sorry but if he in unvaccinated the chances of him surviving are miniscule. I have never known or heard of an unvaccinated bunny surviving Myxi. The chances in an older bunny are even smaller. :(

If you want to keep going with him please have him admitted to the vets whilst you are on holiday, leaving a bunny with neighbours when he has such a serious illness is not advisable. Personally I would have him put to sleep as he has very little chance of survival and myxi is such a painful disease for him to go through. He is obviously much loved as you have cared for him for so long and I think the kindest thing you could do for him now is to let him go. :(

Back