• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to call time on bonding??

Prior to giving up bonding you need to look at how you are bonding, is it is totally neutral territory, is the space too big, can you rabbits smell or see other rabbits, is the periods between incidents getting shorter or longer or remaining the same, what are the signs in behviour that the rabbits are showing each other, do you have adequate time to continue supervising them.

If you are not using the correct sizes space, the area is not totally neutral, they can see other see or smell other rabbits, the bonding space is too big these need to be corrected.

If there are either the same number or more incidents in a 24 hour period, the incidents are getting worse or they are showing more aggressive stance to each other then I would abandon.

I'd say it's time if any of the rabbits are stressed out and or stop eating, getting depressed etc so if they are directly aggressive and not tolerant at all just fighting, I wouldn't push it.

* if they are chasing and nipping but grooming and snuggling - I'd increase the space and add toys and more treats/food regularly to distract.

* If they are apathetic with no interaction I'd do as above and encourage by hand feeding them both some herbs and stroking them simultaneously regularly. Maybe a bit of banana on each head. If they start to get really aggressive or anything reduce the space again and reassure them.

Back