• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

small sticky poops

carolineclair

Warren Scout
This morning maples doing very very small very sticky poops, I've started her on a new feed but have been splitting the old and new feed so its not a sudden change. She seems fine shes bounding around but when I tried to look at her bun she crossed her legs and bought her knees in, shes not usually bothered with me looking. Eventually got a look and shes clean down there. Should I just feed hay andwater or should I be more worried? As I said she seems fine in herself x

Feed her more hay and water and a little amount of pellets per day slowly increasing them :wave:

But alsoo .. Wait for another experienced person to hop along :)

This morning maples doing very very small very sticky poops, I've started her on a new feed but have been splitting the old and new feed so its not a sudden change. She seems fine shes bounding around but when I tried to look at her bun she crossed her legs and bought her knees in, shes not usually bothered with me looking. Eventually got a look and shes clean down there. Should I just feed hay andwater or should I be more worried? As I said she seems fine in herself x

Can you tell us more about what you are feeding your bun in quantity and also what foods? Do you know the fibre and protein content of the food they were on and what they are on now?

Are the poos caecals? If you are not sure post a picture? If they are caecals and this is new it may be that they are getting too much protein in their diet.

Unusually for her she emptied the food bowl over night she ate everything I put in. She's nibbling on hay as I type don't think shes drinking as much as usual but that could be paranoia!

They're not c poops they're just very small perfectly round wet poos. The original food was from the shop I got her from and I have no idea what was in it, just plain looking ( its what they fed her on since a tiny baby. She's now getting a mixture if that and pets at home junior food.

Can you tell us more about what you are feeding your bun in quantity and also what foods? Do you know the fibre and protein content of the food they were on and what they are on now?

Are the poos caecals? If you are not sure post a picture? If they are caecals and this is new it may be that they are getting too much protein in their diet.

I put in a handful and a half every day and then a little bit more in the evening to top it up. She's only done a couple of these poos and no normal ones this morn

If it helps to give me some feeding advice shes 1kg and about 4 months thanks

Last edited:
I'd go with lots of hay and try putting some tepid boiled water in a bowl for her, I'd not panic but I'd definately keep an eye on her input and output for a while, clean out litter tray and fill with fresh hay etc to monitor. I think she's possibly eaten too much pelleted food and not enough hay, I've had a similar thing and just ensure you rota the amount of pellets into more portions or scatter some in hay so she's not filling up in one go and then not eating hay. Try and get some dandelions dried or fresh or some bramble leaves for later to srinkle on her hay, dill and flat leaf parsley are good aswell you can scatter a couple of strands of each on hay :wave:

They're not c poops they're just very small perfectly round wet poos. The original food was from the shop I got her from and I have no idea what was in it, just plain looking ( its what they fed her on since a tiny baby. She's now getting a mixture if that and pets at home junior food.

sorry to be typing so much but im wrong, shes just done 6 c poops in about 10 mins I just hadn't seen them! have I really upset her gut? What can I do?

Sorry also as im on my phone and it is difficult to edit !

I'd go with lots of hay and try putting some tepid boiled water in a bowl for her, I'd not panic but I'd definately keep an eye on her input and output for a while, clean out litter tray and fill with fresh hay etc to monitor. I think she's possibly eaten too much pelleted food and not enough hay, I've had a similar thing and just ensure you rota the amount of pellets into more portions or scatter some in hay so she's not filling up in one go and then not eating hay. Try and get some dandelions dried or fresh or some bramble leaves for later to srinkle on her hay, dill and flat leaf parsley are good aswell you can scatter a couple of strands of each on hay :wave:

thank you, I have some hay that has dried dandilions in will that be ok?

sorry to be typing so much but im wrong, shes just done 6 c poops in about 10 mins I just hadn't seen them! have I really upset her gut? What can I do?

Sorry also as im on my phone and it is difficult to edit !

Lots of hay and water - don't panic, you can get fibreplex from the vet to give her put a bit in a basil leaf but if she's eating her hay it will hopefully be alright, as long as she doesn't have diarrohea thats different and requires veterinary attention. Try and get some dried dandelion to sprinkle on the hay aswell and scatter a tablespoon of her old pellets in hay every 4 hours as long as she has lots of fresh hay she' can't starve, if she stops eating and drinking then that's different. You just need to increase her fibre content. I feed Dodson and Horrell Rabbit Royale with some Science Selectives pellets to mine and it works well, I always gave my rabbits as babies access to pellets as they are growing but they did favour hay.:)

thank you, I have some hay that has dried dandilions in will that be ok?

Yes any hay she will eat will be good, you just need to get her fibre intake up again and monitor her, as long as she continues to eat and drink and poop it will rectify, don't be unnecessarily alarmed but keep an eye on her, I'd clean out the litter tray so you can monitor from now. She'll probably have a sleep soon which is fine if she's eaten some hay:)

I put in a handful and a half every day and then a little bit more in the evening to top it up. She's only done a couple of these poos and no normal ones this morn

If it helps to give me some feeding advice shes 1kg and about 4 months thanks

It sounds like she would benefit from a reduction in her dry pelleted food, most rabbits benefit from being on a tiny amount of pellets a day with the remainder of their diet being hay with a small amount of 'fresh' leaves / green vegetables.

These threads may be helpful for you http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91481&highlight=unlimited

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=88586&highlight=unlimited

Thre are a few recent threads which I cannot locate where people have written about feeding their rabbits wild leaves that they have foraged. A number of people are also now collecting leaves and drying them for use over the winter months when leaves are scarce.

If you bun is eating and drinking do keep a very close eye on them and seek vetinary attention if you have the slightest suspicion that they have stopped. In the meanwhile I would slowly decrease the amount of dried food that they are getting and try and encourage fresh leaves and hay to be eaten.

How is your bun now? Hope all is well again :wave:

well yes her tummy seems to be fine but...within the hr of writing this she climbed out of her large pets at home cage and broke/ fractured a toe (seperate thread) I rushed to emergency vet and he said to just leave her in a confined cage and it should just set back itself... I wasn't happy with this as the toe is now facing up at 90 degrees so shes going to a different vet tomorrow to see of they would amputate? She needs to be spayed so im wondering if they could do both under the same GA. I'm not really sure of the options or what they can do but shes def back off to the different vets tomorrow!! So sadly not all good news!!!

well yes her tummy seems to be fine but...within the hr of writing this she climbed out of her large pets at home cage and broke/ fractured a toe (seperate thread) I rushed to emergency vet and he said to just leave her in a confined cage and it should just set back itself... I wasn't happy with this as the toe is now facing up at 90 degrees so shes going to a different vet tomorrow to see of they would amputate? She needs to be spayed so im wondering if they could do both under the same GA. I'm not really sure of the options or what they can do but shes def back off to the different vets tomorrow!! So sadly not all good news!!!

:cry: Oh no - I hate those cages, I prefer the rabbit playpens - you can just open a panel for them to go in and out on ground level, that's so sad, I hope she's got pain relief. I've no experience with a broken toe but your going to have to be really careful and get her down there tomorrow first thing. Poor little love. Hope she'll be alright.

She's being well cared for and tomorrow I hope something will actually get done! This is when I wish id taken out insurance!!

Oh and I'll be calling pets at home tomorrow!!!

Back