• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Max has duct tape stuck on his belly. Help!

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Just heard him running around like crazy, thought he was binkying at first then noticed he kept nibbling at his under carriage and spotted some duct tape on him :(
He must have somehow got it from the back of the sofa where we'd used the tape to cover up a hole :shock: How it ended up on his belly I dont know.
Me and OH caught him and tried to have a look. Max was struggling like crazy, hes very aggitated. Theres no way I can take scissors to him he just flails about way too much. Was about to try soaking it with warm water when Max did a huge flail and OH gave up :evil:
No idea what to do now :(

oh dear! i haven't got a clue!! is there some sort of oil (like baby or olive) that would be safe to rub on it to try dissolve the adhesive then you could wash it off?

oh dear! i haven't got a clue!! is there some sort of oil (like baby or olive) that would be safe to rub on it to try dissolve the adhesive then you could wash it off?

The link Stator gave me says olive oil can be used on snakes, no idea if this is safe on buns though? :?
To be honest I am inclined to leave him to sort it out himself for now. Hes already got off quite alot of it, and handling him really upset him. Hes very agitated coz I guess its tugging on his fur, cant even go near him without him grunting and batting me away :cry:
OH didnt help by losing his rag and storming off back to bed :evil: I am sooooo angry at him :evil:
Max is flopped out at the moment so I guess its bothering him abit less now some of it is unstuck, do you think its ok to leave him for abit?

if he's not bothered by it right now, let him chill out - stress may just make him tug at it more frantically.

there's got to be something oily that would be ok - i'll do some searching:)

keep your eye on him tho in case he eats it.

Oh no, poor wee guy! If he is happier on his own, leave him be. I can't believe that two buns have done this in one week. They are such daft wee things!

found a really old thread about olive oil being used for ear mites
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51772

will keep looking:wave:

Aww thanks so much Poppymoon, ur so sweet :love:
And thanks VickiP and everyone else too :wave:
He is much calmer now, munching on some hay with Charlotte at the moment. Its hanging off now, cant see how much is still stuck on, but he seems to be getting there. I think I'll leave him for now and if he hasnt got it off by this evening I'll try some olive oil.
Only Max :roll:

Charlee got duck tape stuck to her chest. It was a two-person job getting it off - one person to carefully cut it off and the other to hold her. If you go the scissors route, I would suggest dog grooming scissors if you have any. These have a rounded tip so are safer to use.

Pinch a section of the fur with one hand and tug the duct tape off it with the other, continue working your way along. That way you are pulling against your grip on the fur and not against the skin so it won't hurt. It also means no scissors involved if he's wriggly.

Back