• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

culling rabbits?

leanne2525

Warren Scout
i had a few polish in with me a 7 month old ex breeding buck and two 7 wee old babies , they are hand reared there mum died when they was 5 days old and the breeder saved the 4 babies, i was trying to find the 7 month old a home , and got told very rudely by few people to cull him as polish dont make pets and i should do this with babies too!
apparently if i have a conscience i would do this so he dont hospitalise anyone! i know they are an aggressive breed but this boy is timid and not nasty and as for babies they two young to say at present they play with my children and just want attention how could any one expect me to kill them?

What an awful thing to say. No rabbit should be culled because of its temprement. He might noe be the cuddlyist bun and you might have to work round him if he has bad behaviour but he shouldnt be killed. Get him neutered and give him lots of attention and see how things go

What an awful thing to say. No rabbit should be culled because of its temperment. He might noe be the cuddlyist bun and you might have to work round him if he has bad behavior but he shouldnt be killed. Get him neutered and give him lots of attention and see how things go

Exactly.

hopefully my sister is having him now any way, i would never cull a animal based on breed, but i have had very rude emails from a few people telling me they would and excess polish should be killed!
he has been used as a breeding buck not a pet so not cuddlist of buns but he is not nasty and they hand reared babies are beautiful

not all polish buns are aggessive, there is no need to cull for that reason neutering and a freind will help, if not to human buts least he wont be alone

not all polish buns are aggessive, there is no need to cull for that reason neutering and a freind will help, if not to human buts least he wont be alone

i wouldnt kill any animal but a lot of people think this is only way forward with polish

wrong isnt it, the little fella gets retired from breeding and people expect him to be culled rather than left to find nice home

I had a polish in the rescue and she now has a wonderful new home. She was flightly and fast but an amazing young lady.

Some people need culling!

I'm not defending them but they are probably correct in that an entire adult buck won't make a very good pet. However, that doesn't mean that when he is neutered, paired up with a lady bun and given the space he needs that he can't be a wonderful pet.

i could post one of messages i got they wasnt happy for any neutering they just wanted to make it clear polish should not go into pet environment

i could post one of messages i got they wasnt happy for any neutering they just wanted to make it clear polish should not go into pet environment

Maybe you should get him neutered and paired up and invite said person round to show them how he's doing?

I did have an equiry from someone who had bought a Polish from a breeder at a county fair and she has had nothing but problems with her - unhandleable despite their best efforts but I guess it just depends on whether you are happy to let a rabbit be a rabbit.

I did have an equiry from someone who had bought a Polish from a breeder at a county fair and she has had nothing but problems with her - unhandleable despite their best efforts but I guess it just depends on whether you are happy to let a rabbit be a rabbit.

^^ this.

and i daresay there are many buns who are unhandleable who are just abandoned:(

one day i will be able to take in the less fortunate ones in acres of land and let them live the lives they want........

if he goes to my sister he will be neutered, as for babies i was thinking of neutering and keeping them, i do know as adults i wouldnt let my children alone with a polish as it is in there nature to be flighty, but i must say they are very cleaver and bright

if he goes to my sister he will be neutered, as for babies i was thinking of neutering and keeping them, i do know as adults i wouldnt let my children alone with a polish as it is in there nature to be flighty, but i must say they are very cleaver and bright

That they certainly are.

Remember our little Pixie?

PixieDayofArrival002.jpg

Back