• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with Buster

shelley

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I need some help with my bunny. His behaviour has really changed since i first got him and i dont know what i need to do to get the old Buster back :(

I got Buster from p@h adoption when he was 17weeks old. He had been seperated from his brother who had already been adopted because he was constantly being humped :roll: (they werent neutered) When i first got him he was a really happy bun and was clearly pleased with all of his new found freedom. He loved being made a fuss of and having cuddles on the floor. He has free range of my my kitchen and a large create as his 'base' with plenty of toys. After about a month he became really down and just moped in the corner of the kitchen all the time and just seemed to be disinterested in every thing so I got him neutered then started looking for a wifey bun. I found Lola then bonded them. They were fine for 3 weeks and again Buster was back to himself, playful and full of beans. Then they fell and and now remain unbonded. Lately Buster has become a bit of a nightmare, when he isnt moping he's being destructive or weeing and pooing every where. He was perfectly litter trained before so i dont know why this has gone out of the window. He rarely comes out of the kitchen any more because of this which isnt helping but i really cant keep having him weeing on the carpets and sofa of chewing the furniture, i cant afford to get them professionaly cleaned or replaced. Re-bonding him isnt an option at the moment either and i dont even think it would be a good idea anymore. With Lola being so good she can free range anywhere. She doesnt mess on the floor or chew and it would be unfair to bond them then limit her because of Buster's behaviour. Im really considering re-homing him now to be honest :(

I personally think you should re bond them. I think her behaviour could improve his, and I think she would be happier confined to one room but with a friend. Is there anyone who could bond them for you or is there any way you could do it again in a more natural area or much slower than before? I didn't read about the original bonding, but my two fell out after two months and I had to re bond them again. That's what I would do anyway.

I personally think you should re bond them. I think her behaviour could improve his, and I think she would be happier confined to one room but with a friend. Is there anyone who could bond them for you or is there any way you could do it again in a more natural area or much slower than before? I didn't read about the original bonding, but my two fell out after two months and I had to re bond them again. That's what I would do anyway.

Ive tried to rebond them twice and done the whole neutralize everything etc but they just fight. Lola came off really bad the last time. She was covered in deep gashes and scratches, thankfully they all healed fine but when ever they see each other they go nuts (normally through the baby gate. I have to board it up when Lola is out as they bite each other through it) Ive spoken to Helen and she's kindly agreed to have a go when she is free but she's a very busy lady and she has other bunnies to help. Its my own fault, i should have researched more before i took Lola on. I should have gone to a rescue and got them to do it but i didnt even know rabbit rescues exsisted at the time! I should have choose another bun that was more his age too :(

It may be an idea to have him checked by a vet to rule out any health issues causing his behaviour.

Just checking, is Lola neutered as well?

I think getting a proffessional to try doing it would really help, as you say he was much happier when he had a friend. That failing, are you in a position to get them each friends? Or sometimes people have success when they bond them into a trio?

I think his behaviour sounds depressed, does he get a lot of quality time with you, and some toys to keep him interested? I think more space would really help too, do you have a garden where he can have a run?

eta- also I think the loss of toilet training is probably terrortorial if it was fine before, so maybe you are letting him into areas he considers her territory, and so he is marking it for his own? In which case it would be a case of keeping her out of sight, out of smell, and generally away from the area you want him to free-range in.

I would also have him vet checked, there are illnesses which can cause loss of littertraining, and of course many cause lethargy/dpression.

Last edited:
Just checking, is Lola neutered as well?

I think getting a proffessional to try doing it would really help, as you say he was much happier when he had a friend. That failing, are you in a position to get them each friends? Or sometimes people have success when they bond them into a trio?

I think his behaviour sounds depressed, does he get a lot of quality time with you, and some toys to keep him interested? I think more space would really help too, do you have a garden where he can have a run?

eta- also I think the loss of toilet training is probably terrortorial if it was fine before, so maybe you are letting him into areas he considers her territory, and so he is marking it for his own? In which case it would be a case of keeping her out of sight, out of smell, and generally away from the area you want him to free-range in.

I would also have him vet checked, there are illnesses which can cause loss of littertraining, and of course many cause lethargy/dpression.

Thank you for your reply. Yes Lola is netuered, i will try and get them bonded by a professional as soon as i can. There's no rescue near me that can do it, i could try and search for some one near me with bonding experience but im not hopeful that i'll find any one.

I live in a flat so i dont have a garden they can run in. Regarding the territory, he does get let into the places that Lola spends alot of time in however they are never in the same place at the same time and Lola never gets let into the kitchen where Buster spends most of his time. I couldnt get another bun because if they dont bond again then i'll be stuck trying to house 3 single buns in a 2 bed flat.

He has loads and loads of toys. I put food in boxes and tape them up which he like to play with and i buy him a new toy most weeks. He gets lots of veg which i hide for him to find but i agree with the fact that i think he is depressed. He isnt really bothered about my company anymore. He isnt fussed about being stroked and will just hop off if he see's that i dont have any food for him.

He went to the vet last week to have his claws clipped and she checked him over and said he was looking very fit and healthy, i didnt mention is change in behaviour though. I dont think he is ill, i think he's just sad and bored.

Thank you for your reply. Yes Lola is netuered, i will try and get them bonded by a professional as soon as i can. There's no rescue near me that can do it, i could try and search for some one near me with bonding experience but im not hopeful that i'll find any one.

I live in a flat so i dont have a garden they can run in. Regarding the territory, he does get let into the places that Lola spends alot of time in however they are never in the same place at the same time and Lola never gets let into the kitchen where Buster spends most of his time. I couldnt get another bun because if they dont bond again then i'll be stuck trying to house 3 single buns in a 2 bed flat.

He has loads and loads of toys. I put food in boxes and tape them up which he like to play with and i buy him a new toy most weeks. He gets lots of veg which i hide for him to find but i agree with the fact that i think he is depressed. He isnt really bothered about my company anymore. He isnt fussed about being stroked and will just hop off if he see's that i dont have any food for him.

He went to the vet last week to have his claws clipped and she checked him over and said he was looking very fit and healthy, i didnt mention is change in behaviour though. I dont think he is ill, i think he's just sad and bored.

Is there any way to give Buster a room of his own, perhaps a bit bigger than the kitchen, like a bedroom? Even though Lola is not in the room at the same time as him, he will still be able to tell is her territory from her smell, she may have scent-marked things as well by toileting or chinning things.

You could put a post on here, probably bonding section is best, or rabbit chat (although you'll have to bump it a lot in there) asking for anyone near your area that could bond for you.

As regards taking on another rabbit, you can do so on the basis that if they dont bond they can go back to the rescue (I did, although it worked out fine), although I guess then you still have 2 pairs of rabbit needing to be kept apart. Some people have had success bonding bunnies that wouldnt bond into a pair into a trio or quad instead, as the group makes things more balanced, but it is risky.

I hope Buster feels happier soon.

Back