• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding advice

mollyjoker

Mama Doe
Bonding are female Mabel and Smokey who we got from someone on Gumtree.
Is it ok to bond in a run ,i am going to move it to a new patch in the garden.
Mabel is very laid back and picked Smokey up yesterday he is very tame.
I know this may not matter but fingers crossed.
Any tips would be gratefully received.:wave:

There are so many threads on here about bonding that I'm sure you'll get a good range of views if you go to the bonding and behaviour section.

BUT, the basics are:

BOTH rabbits must be neutered and vaccinated for this to have a good chance of working AND surviving in the future.

The new rabbit should have been with you long enough to have had a health check and to have settled down so that you know if it has any health/behavioural issues. I'd also suggest that both need to vaccinated and don't try and bond for atleast 2-3 weeks post the last vaccination to ensure that the immune system is at full working capicity or the stress of a bond may effect it's ability to work on any infection/virus.

You should use a neutral space that neither rabbit has EVER been in and it should be very small (as small as an indoor cage base).

You need to introduce the rabbits only when you have time and the conditions (eg place to do this continually - so suggest outdoors won't work as you wont' want to sit and watch overnight).

You have to watch for atleast 24-48 hours without seperating the rabbits (unless the behaviour tells you that they are not going to get on) and if they do appear to get on during this time, do not be surprised if this all changes 48 hours in when both become comfortable and decide to change things around a little with the pecking order.

You need to keep them confined for probably 5-7 days before you start to test the relationship by giving them slightly more space.

Do not be tempted to return them to their original housing too soon even if they look good or you will set them right back to the beginning or close to it.

Bonding can take days, weeks and months so take your time for the best result, but in my opinion, the best way to do it is to put them in together straight away and keep watching!

Good luck.

I am not an expert but I generally start by swapping litter trays, then swapping hutches, putting them in runs side by side so they can see and get used to each other and then together in neutral territory - I took mine to my aunts house but of course depends if your buns travel well. I have a spare small wooden run if you need to borrow it.

Good luck. Dying to see snuggle pics

:wave: There is a section called behaviour and bonding, lots of different threads to read through and pick out what you think will be best for your rabbits, ideal partnerships and easiest bonds are male and female, however it's largely personalities, a neutral bonding area and neutral accomodation to go into are essential, lots of hay and food scattered, water in bottles and a bowl, throw in wet herbs/veg/dandelions/bramble leaves etc as a distraction.

Ensure they are both eating and if they start fighting hold them apart gently for a while (wearing thick gloves) and stroke them to calm down, a little chasing and nipping/humping is to be expected but straight in locking on fighting is not good and you may need to house them side by side for a while so they get familiar with scent and movement etc - swapping litter trays/toys etc aswell - best of luck, have a good read through some threads and you'll work out in your mind a plan.:wave:

Back