• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any tips for giving a single handed bunny botty bath?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
I usually have my bunny friend come over to hold Daisy while I clean her botty but she's away so I have to do it on my own. Any tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated! Daisy does not like to be picked up but is generally ok once she feels fully supported which is why it works better with someone else holding her when I clean! We normally have an inch or so of warmed water in a basin and my friend holds her supported with just her back feet and botty in it!

I have always managed this alone, I fill sink with inch of warm water and place bunny in supporting her front paws with one hand. I then use other hand to clean botty! Hope that helps x

I dont think there's any chance of Ms Daisy staying put with just one hand under her front paws she really needs a second hand under her lower back to stop her wriggling and making a break for freedom! Im thinking maybe if I have a small washing up bowl that might work better as she might feel more confined to it, I have a feeling the kitchen and me are going to get a bath as well :lol:

have you tried putting a flannel in the bottom of the sink? It gives them something to grip so they feel more secure and don't slip/panic.

Mmmmm difficult. I bum bath Snow in the bathroom sink with just his back legs in the bowl one arm under his arms and the side of him pressed to me.
We both get very wet :lol:

I hope Beige doesn't hear about Daisys bum ;)

I've just done Artie's, though he wasn't actually so badly dirty.

I take him into the bathroom (vinyl floor), i don't actually put him in the water (I used to use a litter tray with 1" water) as he won't stay in for more than about 10 seconds and I always get more wet than he does :roll: I just keep packing his bottom with wet flannels until the stuff comes off freely and peel off any that i can get to and wash off the rest. I generally restrain him by having his hips between my knees, blocking his escape with my feet and me leaning over him (on the floor)... he usually licks my heels while I'm picking bits off, if he stops licking I know it was uncomfortable for him. He's very, very good at having it done this way now I don't put him in the water.

Amy104 great idea with the flannel I have loads of old ones, I seem to hoard them?!

I like to use the kitchen sink as I can then plop her straight onto dry towels on the draining board and dry her off. Daisy would be mortified if her botty problem became common knowledge on RU and if Beige heard about it she’d have to take off and join the nearest Carmelite Bunnery and never speak to anybun again :shock: She’s very lucky at the moment, Dudley has lost his password for FB, well he thinks he’s lost it, he wrote it down on a left over piece of greens and Daisy ate it!

I used to use a wet flannel but I find it comes away more quickly and easier if the messy bit is submerged. If she was on the floor there would be no restraining her with one hand she’d definitely be off! Daisy doesn’t seem to mind her feet in the water. I suppose I’m worried that I wont be able to complete the job and I’ll have a very cross, completely drenched rabbit with a soggy and still messy botty! At least my little furry doesn’t bite even when she’s scared :love:

Hmmm I wonder if I donned a swimsuit and got in the bath with her with a towel on the bottom of the bath…maybe that’s going a bit too far, it could be my backup plan!

Last edited:
Knowing Daisy...I can see this being very eventful! If I had a car I would come and help you :lol:

I've only done it once and very similar to you although I had Gizmo against my chest sort of thing and held him close with my left arm and the right one to wash his bum and he didn't mind too much as I kept talking to him he actually sat down in the water after drinking it :lol:

I found after squeezing his fur gently with a bit of kitchen roll and the towel it was easier with a soft brush to get it dry.

I always had to do my Bridge Bun, Daisy on my own.

I used to put her in the bathroom basin, which is smaller than the kitchen sink. She had her front paws up on the edge of the basin so she felt supported and I then cleaned her back end by feel while she had her back legs submerged in shallow water. I used to lift her up to check I had removed all the stuck droppings. Then I popped her on the floor in a towel to dry her.

I did get wet - Daisy was a fairly large bun - but it worked reasonably well.

My little bun wouldn't sit still either, so I used to clean him in the bath. I'd lay a towel in it, then fill an inch or so of water and I'd clean his fur while he hopped up and down the bath. He did find it very undignified but the procedure was always successful!

Sarah-Jane yes, you can just imagine the mess I'm going to get into :lol:!!! I just hope she can stay a bit cleaner for her holiday visit :oops::oops: I bought some Rearguard but after earlier threads on Rabbit Chat Im going to get some Flyguard and use that instead!

Along with Beige, Mr McFlurry is also somebun who must never know of this embarrassing situation!!

I think I've steeled myself for the event :lol:!

My best advice is to wear a rain mack :lol:

( I had alot of bum problems with a old bun)

He would normally end up sitting on my head!!

How did it go? :):wave:

I'll never forget the bottom bath I had to give Poppy once - I had to change ALL my clothes afterwards and my husband had to clean rabbit poop off the ceiling and walls! :lol::lol: and I have a lot of experience holding and bathing rabbits... thank god we sorted her tummy out by eliminating pellets altogether as I wasn't keen to repeat that experience!

Am I too late? Did you do it?

Only, if not, could you please set up a video camera as I'd love to see you try. :lol::lol::lol:

I can't manage to give Bubbles a bottom wash on my own either - it usually consists of me holding her over the sink, with her spine against my chest, while hubby pours a couple of jugs of water gently over the poopy parts .... and usually all over me too. :roll::roll:

Sarah-Jane yes, you can just imagine the mess I'm going to get into :lol:!!! I just hope she can stay a bit cleaner for her holiday visit :oops::oops: I bought some Rearguard but after earlier threads on Rabbit Chat Im going to get some Flyguard and use that instead!

Along with Beige, Mr McFlurry is also somebun who must never know of this embarrassing situation!!

I think I've steeled myself for the event :lol:!

Bless her :lol: I'll be watching her going "Daisy don't even think about getting messy" ...and she wont listen of course hahaha :lol: Can't wait to see them! :D

I hold the bun in the crook of my arm like a baby and stick their bottom until a warm tap (not too hot), and use my free hand to clean off any poop.

have you tried putting a flannel in the bottom of the sink? It gives them something to grip so they feel more secure and don't slip/panic.

Thanks!!!:wave:

I manage a Botty Bath very well.Its Lily that doesnt.Her face!! Simply furious!!
Admittedly,it doesnt happen often as Im careful with what I feed and amounts, not to mention cleaning out.

Back