• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD- Attention Tamsin and Jane

rachylou

Warren Veteran
I am having another OCD attack and need some help to rationalise.
The other day I was driving and passed a little wildie who was munching hay on the grass verge which was right next to the road.
I am panicing that my car may somehow have VHD on it and now I am worried I may bring VHD home everytime I use the car.
Tamsin, when you kindly talked me through my Myxi concerns it really helped me so I am hoping you would be able to help me with this one and explain to me how VHD could be transfered and if my buns are in danger from the above situation and Jane, you know what it is like to suffer with the 'mind tricks' that MH illnesses bring and always manage to help me when I am having an OCD 'bad patch'.

You have know that this is impossible. Not only is it so unlikely the wildie had VHD but tyres are hot when driving. Any germ etc would be killed off instantly, especially as you continue driving. There would definately NOT be anything there.

Tyres are rubbers, the heat from the friction kills off all germs. It would wear anything off within seconds.

You have know that this is impossible. Not only is it so unlikely the wildie had VHD but tyres are hot when driving. Any germ etc would be killed off instantly, especially as you continue driving. There would definately NOT be anything there.

Tyres are rubbers, the heat from the friction kills off all germs. It would wear anything off within seconds.

What about the panels of the car? Is VHD airborne or would I have had to touch the rabbit?

What about the panels of the car? Is VHD airborne or would I have had to touch the rabbit?

No it would not be on the panels either.

The car would have been speeding past it would be impossible for any part of the car to have VhD on it. It is air borne but would not stick to your car.

Your bunny is vaccinated and very safe. Nothing would have been on the car.

No it would not be on the panels either.

The car would have been speeding past it would be impossible for any part of the car to have VhD on it. It is air borne but would not stick to your car.

Your bunny is vaccinated and very safe. Nothing would have been on the car.

I was not going that fast though. VHD can live on surfaces cant it? But would the bunny have had to touch the car for that to happen?

If your buns are vaccinated they WILL NOT contract VHD, so don't worry!

Are you having therapy for your OCD? It must be very draining for you to be so stressed all the time. :(

I was not going that fast though. VHD can live on surfaces cant it? But would the bunny have had to touch the car for that to happen?

It can only stay on clothes. Not a car. Even if slow. Its a shiny metal which cannot be penetrated. It would be impossible. Even if the bunny touched the car.

Please try to relax. You seem anxious and need to remember your bunny/bunnies are safe. Even if it was possible, which I assure you it isn,t, not ever. They are protected by their vaccination.

But I did have my window down so could it have blown in the window on to my clothing?

It won't have. Again, all rabbits who's owners left the house would be at risk if that was the case.
Also, I doubt a rabbit who was eating at the roadside was even possible of carrying VHD as they would have been ill, not sat there eating :)

Only myxi can be contracted when the rabbit is already vaccinated (and then they have a fair chance of recovering). I've never heard of a vaccinated rabbit contracting VHD ?

Anyway, like others have said, the rabbit wouldn't have been eating at the side of a road. It would be very sick and, as we all know, bunnies stop eating when they're sick. LOts of people even have unvaccinated rabbits,if things spread that easily they would probably be dead by now..

But dont they call it the silent killer cause a healthy rabbit can just die when it has VHD? :cry:

I don't know a lot about the diease... But I went walking last week to a place where there are definatly wildy bunnies and came in my room afterwards and my bunnies are fine.
I know its really hard to silence the evil voice in the back of your mind but try to relax and enjoy the bunnie :) They will be ok, they won't get VHD from your car or anything like that

I thought they could still contract VHD when vaccinated? I really hope they cant otherwise I will never stop worrying!

Back