• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about my Bunnies and to Switch one to Indoors?

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

I don't post very often anymore but I'm always reading... lurking! lol. Anyways, I have 2 boys, they are brothers but they don't get along at all. I've tried several times but they get into big fights with biting, scratching, blood. Not good at all. So now they live side by side.

I have them living outside right now and in winter they get moved into our shed, but still with a divider between them. Previously, I only had one rabbit but my friend couldn't keep one and I took the brother back. they are 4 1/2 years old.

So the dilemma is that during spring/summer/fall when they are outside there really isn't adequate amount of space. The enclosure is 5 feet by 5 feet and it's split in half. The shed on the other hand is HUGE and they have plenty of space to run about. I wanted to attach the enclosure to the shed with a little cat hole/flap but my husband doesn't want to and as we won't be getting any more rabbits I can understand I guess.

So I'm trying to see if I can have one of the bunnies inside, the one that never chews. He is my original boy that I have had since he was born. His name is Billy. But I worry then Jack will be lonely by himself but he will have enough room.

Both boys are neutered, just an fyi.

My worry is Jack will be lonely and I cannot get another rabbit for company. I also can't really extend the enclosure nor do I have the space.... hmmmm... any suggestions? I do let the buns out almost everyday for a run around our yard for over an hour. Jack stays in a collapsable pen because he is quite a nervous little lad being free range as he lived inside in a cage for 4 years before I got him.

Thanks and sorry this is so long!!

This is Bill:
SleepyBill.jpg

and this is Jack:
jack11.jpg

Thanks!

Awww that seems a real shame that your unable to bond them, how have you tried bonding? Did you try in a completely neutral area to both rabbits?

I'd personally not want to separate them completely, they are social creatures and even if they are happier with their own area, side by side it's better than being alone. Why are you unable to get a couple of doe's to partner these two? You could have one pair indoors and one pair outdoors and it takes the pressure from you as they then have each other.

Do rescue's exist over your way? I honestly think if you are completely limited to just 2 rabbits you might be better if they will not bond swapping one buck for a doe. They can live a long time and a life deprived of interaction with another rabbit is incredibly sad for them.

What hay do you feed yours over there? Are you able to get it OK?:wave:

Back