• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage size for two indoor dwarf buns?

genevieve

New Kit
I'm looking to get adopt two Netherland Dwarf rabbits at some point this year and I want to be totally prepared as far in advance as possible :)

One question I have is about housing. I plan on keeping my buns indoors, and they'd be in their cages when the house is empty or everyone's sleeping (8 - 16 hours per day spent in cage, rest of the time allowed free run of the house).

What would be a good cage size? Many people recommend dog crates, but they only seem to go up to about 4ft x 2.5ft (unless anyone's seen bigger) and I'm not sure if that's big enough...

Also, do they need a "run" or play-pen area if they're having 8 - 16 hours of time to run free per day? If so, how big should this be?

thanks,
Genevieve :)

Personally I think if you are keeping them as house rabbits then ideally you need a cage or crate or NIC cubes to create a base for their trays, bed, bowls etc, but they should have permanent access to an area a minimum size of 6ft x 6ft at all times, and more room when you're there to supervise.
Nethies may be little buns, but they love to bomb around:D

Mine had a 6ftx2ft cage (only overnight) however I've just taken it apart and am letting them be completly free :)

Mine have 6.5 x 4.5, but one corner of it is taken up with storage. And then a smaller second floor. We have the same arrangement as you where they free-range when we're home (similar times to you too). Mostly it seems ok for them - every now and then Truffle wants to run around more when they're shut in and rattles the bars, but it's not often. I've been thinking about giving them the run of the landing 24/7, but OH won't agree.

Are there any commercial cages that come in that size? Because dog crates definitely don't go that big, unless I was to find a way of attaching two of them ...

Are there any commercial cages that come in that size? Because dog crates definitely don't go that big, unless I was to find a way of attaching two of them ...

You could easily link 2x dog crates together. Most have 2 doors - one front, one side. You can take the side door panels off so joining two together should be really easy and they are normally only ~£40/crate for a 4ft (48"). so thats a lot more space for your money and you can add shelves etc in to make it more interesting and give additional space.

Oh of course, by the doors! Feel a bit silly of not thinking of that, I thought I'd have to cut one whole side off or something :oops: Still too early for me to think straight, clearly! Sounds like a great, simple idea :)

Oh of course, by the doors! Feel a bit silly of not thinking of that, I thought I'd have to cut one whole side off or something :oops: Still too early for me to think straight, clearly! Sounds like a great, simple idea :)

You can easily remove them (the doors) with a screwdriver :)

They just slide off then.

IMO nethies need just as much space as a bigger bun. Mine is totally mental always on the go and never stops for a rest.

Have you thought about candc cages?

Mine are at the end of the hall so have solid walls on three sides and the other is just made of pen panels. I couldn't find a cage big enough.

I've got one of those "rabbit cages" that are obviously too small, attached to a 6ft pen, which is then attached to a 48" dog crate, they seem to be pretty happy !

Back