• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can i brush a (mini) rex rabbit?

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
Rudolph is molting! when i pick him up, i end up covered. I heared you cant brush rex's. How can i get the hair out?

:wave:

With Obie (who is also going through a horrendous molt!) I bought a baby brush and use that as well as just gentle pulling out the loose hairs as I stroke him. It goes everywhere but he seem happier if it comes out quicker :wave:

Of course you can brush them :) Was the person who told you someone who shows? I know some rabbits exhibitors don't use brushes on their rabbits as it could thin their coat, but I assume you are not planning on showing your rabbit. The plucking method is great for moulting rabbits

I find it easier to wet my hands and stroke the loose hair off my rexes - mine don't moult as dramatically as many others seem to on RU, and it comes off more by friction in their housing than falling out. A baby brush is a good alternative but i'd just be careful as their skin is really delicate.

Of course you can brush them :) Was the person who told you someone who shows? I know some rabbits exhibitors don't use brushes on their rabbits as it could thin their coat, but I assume you are not planning on showing your rabbit. The plucking method is great for moulting rabbits

I think i read it in a book or on the net :?

so is that just literally plucking it out gently with my hands?

Yes, just gently pull the bits out, if he jumps or flinches its because th hair is still slightly attached. Literally as you are stroking him just grab whatever loose hair you can. Don't pluck in a jerking motion, more firm but gentle.

I sandwich a section of hair loosely between my thumb and the side of my first finger and gently pull gently to draw the hair through. It's more running sections through your fingers than grabbing a bit hard and tugging. If it's loose it will literally fall out into your hand.

Back