• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I get my bunny a mineral lick?

I am a new bunny mummy and need a little advice; this may be obvious to more exerienced mums but should I give my rabbit a mineral stone thing and does she need it? I have seen lots in shops but have never seen anything explicitly saying my bunny needs one. Thank you.

I'd say no, your rabbit doesn't need one provided you feed a good diet, ie, 80-90% hay along with an eggcupfull of good quality, high fibre pellets (which will have all the vitamins and minerals he needs) and a little veg/wild food selection (see our foraging 2011 thread for bunny safe ideas).

Should you find you need to make any adjustments to your buns diet do so very gradually, 1 change/new food at a time over a 2 week period. Don't make any changes until he is settled in the home (say at least 2 weeks if he's new to you) and best not to intoduce veg if he hasn't had them already until he is about 12 weeks I think.

Back