• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant rabbits

bigphil

New Kit
Hi all. i have a giant rabbit that I got from Pets at Home (sorry wouldnt do it again!) I have just read in an old leaflet from them that they can live as little as 4 yrs? Please tell me this isnt true. my boy is already 2. Any one had them live longer?:cry:

Giants have a shorter life span i'm afraid, so yes, ~4-5 is about right.

Unfortunately, they can suffer from heart issues if i remember rightly, the heart is the same size as the heart of a regular rabbit, so is under additional strain.

Sadly what Graham said is true they dont have as long a life span as a smaller rabbit, that said with good care they can life until 6 or 7

It is all true :( get the vet to keep a close eye on his heart when he's in for check ups. They suffer from the same problems large dogs, like Great Danes, do, G.Danes don't live very long either :(

so sorry this is not better news for you . . but make the most of the time you have together.

Is your bun a housebun and companion? or is s/he an outside bun with a rabbit friend of his own?

Be aware also that giants can have athritic problems in their rear legs and lower back as they get older so watch out for any slowing of movement, or sitting oddly etc and take bun to the vet for check up and anti-inflammitory drugs if this happens.

I have always had large bunnies not quite sure if they are classes as giants but my 1 stone+ new zealand white was 8 when I had to have him PTS through an infection and shear old age, his dad who my grandad owned was 12 when he died of natural causes. He was a stud rabbit so maybe this kept him young at heart :D (dont jump on me this was back in the 1980's).

My very large old english x french lop was touching the stone mark and was 5 when she was pts after going into heart failure but was still soo active until the last 2 weeks of her life.

4-5 years doesn't sound an awful long time but the joy they give in that time outweighs the inevitable heartache. Give me big bunnies any day.

Back