• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

neuter pre 6 months

carolineclair

Warren Scout
Has anyone had their female bunnys neutered pre 6 months. Maple is not agressive but the pooing and spraying everywhere I can't deal with, my house is disgusting im constantly cleaning wee. I have a large dog play pen that I tried to keep her in the other day in the kitchen where its easy clean surface but she managed to climb her way out!! I have a netting to put on top but I don't see that making much difference!! Basically what I guess im saying is I don't want to have to keep her in a cage all day its a horrid idea but I don't see a solution right now so want her spayed asap so hopefully fingers crossed I can re litter train and get back to having my lovely house bun back!!! I don't mean to sound selfish im aware she is an animal behaving naturally I just can't spend an hr a night going round cleaning my carpets!!!

I know where you're coming from. We've only had Peter three weeks. He's now 11 weeks old and is pretty good at using his litter tray in the house. He's an outdoor bun but when he comes inside he does have the occassional mishap and bunny wee is a nightmare to get out, in fact, a lot of it doesn't shift.

I've kinda resigned myself to a less than perfect carpet in the one room he allowed free access to. The hallway has the odd stain but is darker so not so obvious. I have to admit we're slightly less house proud since he's arrived!

Last edited:
Yes, I have had quite a few bunnies neutered under 6 months, my vet usually goes on weight, so long as they weigh at least a 1kg then she will neuter, I always find that they get over it much quicker too

Some girls can be neutered at 5 months, it depends on the bunny though and whether the vet feels that its okay to neuter at that age.

The rescue I used to foster for had experienced vets who were happy to neuter all females as soon as they had reached 1 kg in weight, they prefered to neuter at this age as they had less fat deposits which may visualisation of the reproduction tract so much clearer and they woke up from the anaesthetic much quicker.

My lionhead cross, Amber, was spayed before she was six months old I think. :) I adopted her from the RSPCA - she was running wild and her back/side was lacerated, so while stitching her back up they spayed her whilst she was under GA! When I adopted her she was very little and had that 'baby bunny' look about her... Looking at photos of her now, she looks ever so young.

Back