• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

torn ear!!! emergency vet trip.

loulabell

Warren Scout
Just had to do an emergency dash to the vet!!!!
my 4 rabbits were free ranging in the garden this evening, when i noticed 2 of them were having a bit of a scuffel, thay all ran back in there shed so i shut them back in, a bit later on i heard some noise so i went out to check them i noticed my little black lop hattie had a really bad tear on her ear.
Thay had all calmed down and were all eating together i phoned the vet and took her straight down, the vet gave her metacam and baytril and she's got to go in tommorow for an op to stitch it up!!!
The vet suggested keeping her in tonight as 'blood may make the others go funny' i however think she's best left outside with the others to protect the bond and keep her stress level's low. its not unusual for them to have a scuffle when there free ranging and there all ok now, the mum (one of the 4) has been licking it.
Do you think i've done the right thing leaving her outside, also how could this happen? the vet said it looks like its been ripped not bitten.
How stressfull can being a bunny mummy be!!!!!!

Last edited:
Poor bunny, sounds painful. Is there any chance you can bring them all in for the night so you can keep an eye on them amd make sure no other scuffles happen, as I understand you not wanting to seperate them.

I think you have because she is more likely to be stressed out by being alone and in strange circumstances. One of my buns injured her leg and I'm not sure how the other week and she stayed with the others with no problems. I think I would be keeping a close eye for any other squabbles but I'm sure you're doing that anyway. Hope her ear soon gets better. :D

Personally I could not leave them unsupervised overnight now.
Your Vet was correct re the effects blood can have, especially if the injured Rabbit starts to object to the wound being licked. This can cause another fight to kick off :cry:

Thank you for all your replys. do you think i should keep all 4 indoors or just hattie?
am worried about the bond. i've been checking them their all just sitting in the run eating hay.

Thank you for all your replys. do you think i should keep all 4 indoors or just hattie?
am worried about the bond. i've been checking them their all just sitting in the run eating hay.

I think if you can keep all 4 together it would be better bondwise, but supervise them overnight indoors. The change in environment may help to keep things calm, but I do think they need to be within earshot of you all night.

ok, i've put hattie in a run inside the shed, so she's seperate from them (so no futher fighting occurs) but still in with them. at least i know there be no more injury's over night.

I would leave them together as you've done but check regularly. Their ears tear really easily so what starts as a quick nip only needs the bun to pull away at the wrong moment to turn into a big tear.

Are they all neutered? That can help reduce scuffles.

I would leave them together as you've done but check regularly. Their ears tear really easily so what starts as a quick nip only needs the bun to pull away at the wrong moment to turn into a big tear.

Are they all neutered? That can help reduce scuffles.

Hi tamsin, yes all neutered thay were done in march, their a mum, brother, and 2 sister quad.
i went out to check them thay were ok, i gave them some fenugerrk treats which thay all had, then masie (the other sister) started chasing hattie again!
it may have been because there were treats around? i just dont know?
so i decided to put hattie (with the torn ear) in the run to prevent any more injuries, and to be fair the vet did say to keep her seperate.
I am really concernd about it all, god knows what im gonna do if thay wont live together? if there's ever any unease its always these 2.
thay are nearly a year old.

ok, i've put hattie in a run inside the shed, so she's seperate from them (so no futher fighting occurs) but still in with them. at least i know there be no more injury's over night.

Sounds like a good plan! Hope everything goes well tomorrow at the vets!

Just a quick update, hattie is home from the vet but sadly thay could'nt repair the ear so she had to have part of the ear amputated. Looks horrible but im sure i'll get used to it. As long as she's ok thats the most important think.

Back