• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sometimes I wonder if Nutmeg would be happier alone...

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
*sigh*

They've had a big tiff again. No fighting just a LOT of chasing. It's as soon as she sees, hears, smells the other two. I put the wrong bowl in the other night and that caused a ruckus :shock: Tonight was cos the lops were on the landing while I swept their room (they like to help) and despite a gate, a suitcase AND laundry basket between them she still started chasing Smudge which leads to Smudge chasing her. I've just had to trance her to check under her chin cos she had a big bit of fur coming out, she's ok thankfully.

Sometimes I think I should bond Smudge to the other two, cos they got on beautifully, and let Nutmeg see them but not be with them. Then the lops and Smudge could have my room, landing, stairs and hallway relatively easily. But other times like now when they are peacefully snuggled together I think that's a preposterous idea.

Sorry there's not much point to this except a *sigh* moment and I wish she didn't react like this all the time. :(

Hugs schuey.

Difficult to make a big reply as on phone but can't not.

Referred aggression is awful I agree. Biscuit and Ginger got nasty after I held a pet shop bun for checking his health.

I know its a long shot but would you consider bonding the quad again? Perhaps do a but different though and bond a trio and then the quad a bit later?

I don't honestly think shesd be happier on her own but the referred aggresion makes it appear that way to you?

I just wonder if this may always happen because their scents are always going to be relatively close due to the proximity of the rooms.

Hugs to you.

Thank you Gray.

I've had a bit of a think in the bath (best place for thinking). I wont split them, not unless we get full on fighting, it's not fair to them. They've been huddled together on the ottoman and Nutmeg's been grooming Smudge. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to redo the quad :oops:

I think what I might do is remove the gate and use the door. It seems to be not such a big issue on scent, although they fought over the bowl which is odd because they are fine on the landing despite it being shared space and when they are on the landing they only wee near the lops door, no chasing. My issue then is that I can't check on them so I'm wondering if it's possible to install spyholes in internal doors? Then in the daytime I could have the lions on the landing and check on the lops with their spyhole and reverse that in the evening for the lops.

Wish I could proof downstairs but Mum is adament that wont happen and anyway it brings it's own challenges cos Nutmeg will wee on the carpets downstairs or on my bed if they were upstairs. :roll:

Little minx is completely ignoring me and nodding off. :roll:

I know this sounds kind of drastic and no doubt your mum would have a fit. But. Could you convert their door into a stable door. That way you can fully close it if the other two are out but most of the time have just the bottom half closed and it would be a more solid barrier. It would need and extra hinge on the top and bottom half and a hook to keep the top part closed.

I feel for you. This is exactly the relationship Akasma and Frankie had. Where she would nip and chase him at meal but when you see them snuggled and flopped together you realise they did love each. I do hope it all improves.

Hi im sorry i cant give you any advice,
i know how stressfull it is it would be so much easier if thay just all got on!! sometimes it makes me wonder if its all worth the stress!!
Hope it works out for you. XX

Thank you Gray.

I've had a bit of a think in the bath (best place for thinking). I wont split them, not unless we get full on fighting, it's not fair to them. They've been huddled together on the ottoman and Nutmeg's been grooming Smudge. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to redo the quad :oops:

I think what I might do is remove the gate and use the door. It seems to be not such a big issue on scent, although they fought over the bowl which is odd because they are fine on the landing despite it being shared space and when they are on the landing they only wee near the lops door, no chasing. My issue then is that I can't check on them so I'm wondering if it's possible to install spyholes in internal doors? Then in the daytime I could have the lions on the landing and check on the lops with their spyhole and reverse that in the evening for the lops.

Wish I could proof downstairs but Mum is adament that wont happen and anyway it brings it's own challenges cos Nutmeg will wee on the carpets downstairs or on my bed if they were upstairs. :roll:

Little minx is completely ignoring me and nodding off. :roll:

I believe you have made the right choice. Fingers crossed there won't be any more fighting. :wave:

no advice i'm afraid but i hope they stay calm xxx

Sorry poppy I missed this earlier, thank you too. And everyone else whose taken the time to comment, I appreciate it. :)

I know this sounds kind of drastic and no doubt your mum would have a fit. But. Could you convert their door into a stable door. That way you can fully close it if the other two are out but most of the time have just the bottom half closed and it would be a more solid barrier. It would need and extra hinge on the top and bottom half and a hook to keep the top part closed.

Actually when I mentioned it to mum she said similar but dad's the one not keen on that idea :roll: I've seen some really nice ones with little windows in which are lovely but expensive so I might save up and get some.

Back