• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much for Rearguard??? Is Flyguard a good alternative??

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Hi, anyone got theirs yet and how much did you pay?

The cheapest I can get it for is £17.50 which seems extortionate, I'm sure I didnt pay anything like that before??

Anyone got any cheaper sources?

Edit: Some have suggested beaphar flyguard - anyone used that? any good? any side-effects?

Last edited:
I've just paid £27 at my vet's today (for the Rearguard, not the appointment). I noticed the bottle is half the size, now, too. :shock:

Hmm I was just thinking about this stuff today. I'm sure when I got it a few years back it was maybe around £10. At the prices your now quoting there must be a cheaper alternative?

Helen xx

I use fly Guard. It lasts longer and is spray on so much easier to administer. It costs £10 a bottle. A vet nurse recommended it to me as an alternative to Rearguard.

Is Flyguard that Beapher stuff?? I have some.Bought it 2 years ago now?? Forget the price..**checked in cupboard** yes..Got the stuff.
Ive never used it though......Trusting my Husbandry and cleanliness 100%, and of course, the care from my vet, reguarding teeth etc.

Does it say on the beaphar box what the active ingredient is? Sometimes products like this all use the same ingredient but the price once it's branded can vary a lot!

Going in to panic mode now! I have bought some Rearguard for Daisy only because she is going to Bunny boarding next week and she has a dirty botty problem. She's very safe at home being indoors, I havent seen a fly in my house for over a year! But bunny boarding is more of an outhouse with a side door to the garden so flys are more of a risk. Having read all the recent threads and some of the older ones Im wondering if I should try and get the Flyguard as a safer alternative? Daisy has had the Beaphar Ivermectin spot on before when she had a bout of mites and there were no side effects. Ooh what to do!

If you are worried about a skin reaction, you could try a small spot first and then do the rest in 24/48hrs is there is not reaction. I haven't read the threads, what's the issue with it?

Also contains S-Methoprene,which prevents eggs from hatching and larvae from developing.

I'll ask Guy Carter on Saturday which he recommends, but I think I might try the flyguard instead

Back