• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Total for requests to take in bunnies in the last 24 hours

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Now stands at 7 singles!

And all are due to them being at risk, stray, fighting etc (in other words not because the kids got bored).

Keep telling myself "ebb and flow" but it's so hard to prioritise when they all need help.

I agree ...fosters arnt always the answer ... its funds that limit intake ...not just space .

we are over full at the moment and have a backlog of neuters to get through because we have had buns in with problems...so even if hutches come free we cant take in more . :(

I agree ...fosters arnt always the answer ... its funds that limit intake ...not just space .

we are over full at the moment and have a backlog of neuters to get through because we have had buns in with problems...so even if hutches come free we cant take in more . :(

This^

And the thing is that there will always be deserving cases and for the sake of ones already in the rescue, the person paying the bills has to know when to say no (that's me and it's also me that has to 'process them' in other words, get them ready by taking them to the vets for neuters and vaccs, and clean them out, not to mention bonding up). Even though it's going to mean the difference in a new life or not we have to learn to say no. Heartbreaking, but it has to be about quality of rescuing and care and not quantity.

I could take them all in and recycle them quickly if I wasn't so thorough, but what would be the point? Nobody would learn anything.:(

Thats really sad. As hard as it is i surpose setting a limit is the best thing you can do to make sure you can look after all of the buns and pay for their vet fee's. I really take my hat off to you rescues. Id love to follow in your foot steps one day but i dont think i will ever have the funds unfortunatly :(

This^

And the thing is that there will always be deserving cases and for the sake of ones already in the rescue, the person paying the bills has to know when to say no (that's me and it's also me that has to 'process them' in other words, get them ready by taking them to the vets for neuters and vaccs, and clean them out, not to mention bonding up). Even though it's going to mean the difference in a new life or not we have to learn to say no. Heartbreaking, but it has to be about quality of rescuing and care and not quantity.

I could take them all in and recycle them quickly if I wasn't so thorough, but what would be the point? Nobody would learn anything.:(

agree 100%

if we cant give them better than where they come from we might as well leave them there .. hard .. but true :(:(

No point Shelley as I can't fund fosters - I don't have the income to care for more than I can fit in here anyway. I have to know my limits or it gets out of hand.

Maybe some bunny foster parents would agree to fund the fosters themselves? Or have you tried that? Just a thought that there may be some lovely generous fosterers out there? :wave:

Maybe some bunny foster parents would agree to fund the fosters themselves? Or have you tried that? Just a thought that there may be some lovely generous fosterers out there? :wave:

Great minds think alike! I don't want to be responsible for the rehoming or dealing with people who need their pets rehoming but I would potentially be interested in sponsoring a few rabbits a year as above, for reputable, established rescues. Not sure if there would be difficulties as the rescue owns the bunny but the sponsor has put the money in - it would have to be carefully planned and agreed. I've tried the rescuing from start to finish but I seem to end up keeping them as the responsibility for rehoming them is too much for me :oops::oops: The one bunny that I did foster for a rescue I paid for the vaccinations as I wanted her to have her spay at FHB's which was more expensive than local vets.

Great minds think alike! I don't want to be responsible for the rehoming or dealing with people who need their pets rehoming but I would potentially be interested in sponsoring a few rabbits a year as above, for reputable, established rescues. Not sure if there would be difficulties as the rescue owns the bunny but the sponsor has put the money in - it would have to be carefully planned and agreed. I've tried the rescuing from start to finish but I seem to end up keeping them as the responsibility for rehoming them is too much for me :oops::oops: The one bunny that I did foster for a rescue I paid for the vaccinations as I wanted her to have her spay at FHB's which was more expensive than local vets.

Yeay I'm not the only one then!:D I have been paying for my foster bunny Caspers vaccinations too. Would put a picture of him on here but I can't remember how to! just going off to have a think :oops:
caspera.jpg

Here he is hopefully

Last edited:
Wish I could help!!!
Our garden is good sized, but there's no fence, which I hope to fix later this year!
If only FFiL would change his mind I'd gladly foster buns for people at no cost! I'm long term ill and nothing else to spend my money on but bunnies and books!
Hope you could point them to someone else who could help.
I feel so sorry for the rabbits, just passed around like a used rag!

This^

This is something I am always keen to point out when people want to foster. It is not just a case of more bunnies to cuddle- especially since rescue bunnies often are not used to human contact - but that they need to be prepared to do some work. Each rabbit requires at least five vet visits. Two vaccs, pre, post and neuter visit not to mention dealing with any problems they have arrived with.

I have only four fosters and, other than three kids, I don't work. By the time I put in some work with all rabbits every day like handling, claw trimming or grooming then clean everyone out I don't have much spare time. I do not know how those of you with ten times as many buns manage!!

Is this all part of the 'Easter' sold babies that the novelty has now worn off? Hormones are kicking in etc?

It wouldn't work because I need the rabbits on site to be able to keep the details up to date re development and health, plus I need to be able to allow people to view the rabbits for adoption which is made much harder if they are off site.

Call me a control freek, but I take full responsibility for the rabbits in my care and if I can't then I won't take them in. It also makes me feel like they are my rabbits I am rehoming which means I have to feel comfortable rehoming 'my own rabbits' so my homechecks are strict.

I know fostering works for lots of people but I need to know what's going on and having fostered for two rescues in the past, I know it wouldn't work for me.

It wouldn't work because I need the rabbits on site to be able to keep the details up to date re development and health, plus I need to be able to allow people to view the rabbits for adoption which is made much harder if they are off site.

Call me a control freek, but I take full responsibility for the rabbits in my care and if I can't then I won't take them in. It also makes me feel like they are my rabbits I am rehoming which means I have to feel comfortable rehoming 'my own rabbits' so my homechecks are strict.

I know fostering works for lots of people but I need to know what's going on and having fostered for two rescues in the past, I know it wouldn't work for me.

I completely understand how you feel and I would probably be exactly the same as you if I had my own rabbit rescue.

I completely understand how you feel and I would probably be exactly the same as you if I had my own rabbit rescue.

Thanks for that. It's hard because it seems like I am the only one capable of caring for the rabbits, which isn't the case, but having been trying to help someone else rehome the rabbits in her care locally, where the rabbits are there and I am here and I put all of the info and photos up on the internent, it has been very difficult. I have found it difficult to keep the infomation up to date and I then have to try and arrange viewings. I was not funding these bunnies - they were dumped at this ladies site.

If I have them all here, I am completely on top of what is happening with them on a day by day basis and can have visitors at very short notice.

To answer Shelley's question too about volunteers; I choose not to have any (although loads of good people have offered in the past) because it means I have to plan for them coming and I simply am unable to be tied down to days/times. It may be different if off site but as the bunnies are in my garden and my other half works from home some days, it's not really a very good option. We don't want loads of folks in the garden.

I do have one friend who comes one day a week as she likes to come for a cuppa and a bunny cuddle and is happy to muck in if I ever need her. This works perfectly for me :D

Is this all part of the 'Easter' sold babies that the novelty has now worn off? Hormones are kicking in etc?

That's what I was wondering! If this is something that happens at this time every year a few months or so after after easter :(

Back