• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies ever eat Megazorb?

clarebear

Mama Doe
Just trying to work out why Bungee has an upset tum.....could she be eating the Megazorb in her litter tray?

I bought big bag after reading on here that so many people use it, but the very first day I had to take Honey to the emergency vet with a blockage - I don't know for sure that it was caused by eating megazorb, but it seems highly likely :( I haven't used it since and she's been fine :wave:

I think I will just try them with newspaper and hay today.....although I suppose if she's eating the Megazorb she might eat the newspaper too? Could it cause an upset tum though?

I bought big bag after reading on here that so many people use it, but the very first day I had to take Honey to the emergency vet with a blockage - I don't know for sure that it was caused by eating megazorb, but it seems highly likely :( I haven't used it since and she's been fine :wave:

What do you use instead now? :wave:

I think I will just try them with newspaper and hay today.....although I suppose if she's eating the Megazorb she might eat the newspaper too? Could it cause an upset tum though?

I might be wrong but I think they eat the megazorb because it's in little pieces like food, Honey's never eaten paper. And megazorb will swell in the stomach, I don't think newspaper will :wave:

I might be wrong but I think they eat the megazorb because it's in little pieces like food, Honey's never eaten paper. And megazorb will swell in the stomach, I don't think newspaper will :wave:

I use lots of layers of newspaper with loads of hay on top - that's what I did before and it's always been fine :wave:

I contacted Lisa from TheHayExperts about bunnies eating Megazorb and this because I caught Rascal doing it one day ....... this was the reply I got:

Worry not - this is a common bunny practise (along with giving us humans constant worry..!).

There is negligible swelling of the Megazorb when wet (just check out a 'used' bit to see what it looks like when soaked).

The product is made from plant fibre, so will do no harm either.

As to why they choose to take the odd nibble rather than a tasty bit of hay is anyone's guess! Worry not, Rascal is just living up to his name :eek:)

HTH

Hmmm :? I'm still convinced that's what caused Honey's blockage, that was the only different thing that day! And the vet seemed to think it was probable aswell.

I contacted Lisa from TheHayExperts about bunnies eating Megazorb and this because I caught Rascal doing it one day ....... this was the reply I got:

Worry not - this is a common bunny practise (along with giving us humans constant worry..!).

There is negligible swelling of the Megazorb when wet (just check out a 'used' bit to see what it looks like when soaked).

As to why they choose to take the odd nibble rather than a tasty bit of hay is anyone's guess! Worry not, Rascal is just living up to his name :eek:)

HTH

I stopped using it in their litter trays for a while and they lost interest in looking for it, I've since sneaked it back in and they haven't noticed as its covered with hay!

Must admit though, I did look at some 'used' megazorb and she was right, it doesn't swell up!

Although I would do the same again and stop using it if I caught either of them having a nibble!!

HTH

I spoke to Lisa on the phone about this ages ago then a few weeks later Joejoe got awful stasis - which I stress cannot be 100% attributed to the megazorb and I know no way doubt or blame Lisa - so I don't use it with him anymore (only myself but thats another story lol :lol:). I think there's a difference between nibbling which is what Lisa was talkng about and full-on tucking into it like it was a bowl of nuggets which is what Joejoe was doing. He also eats rather than just shreds cardboard and paper so I unfortunately (as they're not cheap) have to use those wood pellets from p@h.

I used to love megazorb and wish he hadn't got a taste for it - I think you just have to watch your individual bun and if they are doing anything more than nibbling whether it be megazorb, card/paper or anything else unsuitable then it's best to take it away altogether to be on the safe side.

Since we switched from megazorb to just hay Smudge hasn't had a stasis attack :? Nutmeg used to dig it into the hay so I suspect that he was getting odd bits of megazorb when eating hay.

It's all so confusing isn't it......I don't know what to think now! :roll:

I think the best bet is just to monitor your bun - if they are only nibbling and not suffering any tummy troubles i.e nice big golden poos (or whatever is normal for them) then it is ok, but if they appear to be tucking into it and their poos are going small and dark take it away and see if things improve - if they do, you know the culprit.

I think the best bet is just to monitor your bun - if they are only nibbling and not suffering any tummy troubles i.e nice big golden poos (or whatever is normal for them) then it is ok, but if they appear to be tucking into it and their poos are going small and dark take it away and see if things improve - if they do, you know the culprit.

Yep I think your right! :wave:

Back